The death of Scratch-building

So, after letting the dust settle and any vitriol abate, I thought I would chime in once more.
First, I was VERY happy to see so many scratch builders and their works. It truly seems i may have been premature in labeling the death of scratch-building.
For, me, I am like some of those who responded, I am OLD SCHOOL. Now is that a bad thing ?? NO, but it has and will shape my views. I began by paying the lofty sum of 6.75usd for a Monogram and or Tamiya Armour kit way back in the 70’s. Meaning there was NOTHING but what the builder created, or kit bashed to add to a build. Move ahead pert near 50 years, and it feels like everything and anything you want to add to your build is available. tracks, accessories, fuel cans, boxes PE this and PE that. Is all this bad, NO. It is the new norm, as well as paying 75.00 to 100.00usd for a kit.
Like many old farts I simply miss the era where a builder needed to think outside the box and scratch, good bad or indifferent, the world moved on.

4 Likes

Sometimes the builder will still HAVE to do it ALL by himself,
in some cases there just is no kit at all and absolutely
no aftermarket parts for it.

4 Likes

OCD in regard to model building? perhaps my research starts here on kitmaker forum? :grin:

4 Likes

With 13.6 % kit parts, this Italeri Panther felt like a scratch build even with a blend of aftermarket goodies & scratch work.

More old school, 2002 Dragon Panther D.

Kicking it like it’s 1995, old school Tamiya Panther G with same era aftermarket.

The old 1970’s era Tamiya Tiger 1 got a lot of old skool love as well plus Model-Kasten goodies & OTM PE.

^^^^My old school projects in the last year, I’m tired of old school for a few months! (j/k)

The real benefits in my opinion of doing an occasional old school project is it helps hone skills and makes one really appreciate the awesome kits we have today like Ryefield Model’s KV-1 1942.

9 Likes

No death to scratch building. But an ever increased opportunity for those either uninterested or unable to fabricate on their own to buy aftermarket details.

One might argue this all started with decals. So much easier than making stencils or hand painting.

I don’t compete so I’m not looking for a level playing field.

2 Likes

For me and ME alone, when I say scratch-building, I mean just that. Armour Buff’s Panther is darn close. LOADS of After-market, but very little scratch, (NO that’s not a shot). Here is what I mean by scratch, from scratch, 100 percent plastic, metal, wood and bits. No she isn’t perfect, but she is 100 percent scratch

built

5 Likes

8 Likes

You know, @Whitney_Foreman, the point you raise is certainly a good one. I build quite a bit of what I consider to be scratch work, but it could also be described as kitbashing, or base model plus varying degrees of changes. I enjoy doing it, and will continue to do so.

In regard to degree or percentage of scratch - well, I don’t know how to assign a blanket percentage.

Some projects, like this Irish Army Ranger truck - well, I cut up what was once a 1/24 scale Ford F-350 crewcab, and made it into something else - a two door version, with no roof, rebuilt suspension, new cab interior, gunner’s turret, and some other parts:

So, not full scratch, but some big changes.

For this, I started with the old AMT Cat D8 and changed it to look like a modern Cat D7R:

As you can see, I kept some sections of the chassis and track rails, tracks, and basic engine, but also reworked the chassis and rails, made a new body, ripper, and final drive to get this:

Not a scratch build, but not out of box with extra parts either.

I built this truck a few years ago, coincidentally, as part of a scratch build campaign on the old Armorama forums! :smiley:

It’s a 1/35 Kraz tractor with a pile driver - and when done:

So another not scratch built, but also not a kit.

This case is a bit harder to label, a SOCOM RG-33. There is no kit of this truck but, I like it, so went about trying to make a representation. Parts of the cab are from two RG 31’s cut up - parts of the bed are from an M1083, and the majority of the rest is evergreen and remnant PE - the CROWs is made from evergreen and remnant PE:

I used left over axles, but built the walking beam suspension and underside of the hull/chassis using evergreen - used some kit parts for part of the hull, but scratch built the full hood, cabin and cabin roof, using evergreen. The grill uses brass strip material. The non-slip material on the front fenders is the foil wrap from San Pellegrino soda cans. The hood vents are made from 1/24 PE manhole covers cut up, and so on.

And when done -

So, sadly, by definition none of these are 100% scratch built.

I’m working on a project now that is largely scratch built - the tires and wheels are resin, as I am not that interested in making my own, and I have kept a few kit parts, but have cut them up quite a bit along the way to get to the project I want.

It seems to me there is enough scratch work in these (and many other builds posted on the forum) to conclude that some form of scratch building is indeed alive and active.

Happy model building

Cheers
Nick

12 Likes

Nick, your work is awesome. And yes it does fall in the category of scratch-built. But you didn’t need me to tell you that. Luv to see more

1 Like