The death of Scratch-building

The price must be due to the gold bits that go between your toes and over the foot:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don’t get the rubbish you guys get. My ads are about Insurance, investment and real estate - none of which I have searched.

If it was based on my searches, everything would be model related ads… and that would not be so bad.

Definitely get a lot of the Saks panties ads here.

What’s odd is such ads don’t reflect on what I do look at, very often daily: news sites, a couple forums, other hobby interests, a music site or two, sometimes, recipe sites, etc.

You’d think I would see ads for modeling kits and stereo gear.

Nope. Panties. On another unrelated forum, it’s “These two twins have been named as the most beautiful in the world. Wait till you see them now!” Every single freakin’ day! LOL!

(Of course now that I’ve posted about these ads, I am guaranteed to never stop seeing them, ever.)

3 Likes

Oops! Not the sort of Thong I was thinking of…
:nauseated_face:
M

You were thinking about the same kind of thong as in the SAKS ad mentioned by 165thspc
" A thong can be a piece of leather used as a lash of a whip or underwear for women that does not cover their behind. In the United States and some other English-speaking countries, it can also be a shoe that is held on by two straps that go between the big toe. This is normally used in the plural, thongs, when referring to the shoe."

1 Like

LOL! You guys should also consider the possibility that the ads that show up on your feed reflect the search history of others in your household that share the same internet connection (and not necessarily your PC).

This might not be a bad thing if you get to see some of those sexy thongs on your significant other, but then again, if you’ve NEVER seen any of those being worn… Well, maybe not such a good thing! LOL!

6 Likes

If the home is bugged by Bebos’s “Alexi” I’d suspect that might play a role in the advertising feed.

1 Like

At this price point, scratch building some thongs is a more economical choice.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh… when ‘Ho Chi Minh Tire Sandals’ were the rage. :thong_sandal:

1 Like

It could also be due to the fact most model builders are men so adds geared to men would be a sound idea on a modeling site.

1 Like

Could be. My daughter is 14 and a little wary of Alexa. She unplugs it when not in use.

My son, now 11 was also wary when he was about seven and his sister told the Alexa to self-destruct.

It started a countdown and he was kind of freaking out because, as he explained it, “Bombs are round and black,” just like in the cartoons…

But for certain, other devices can pick up various search entries. Such as when my kids were very much into that Sonic The Hedgehog stuff. I’d see ads for that on my computer at work.

But why don’t they see ads for tank models, etc.?

1 Like

Depends on who pays for the ad’s.
Those who want to sell tank models should/would advertise on sites like this.
Do they think advertising is a good idea or do they use other methods like review
samples and “leaking” information to editors hungry for news?

2 Likes

Wow. You should see the Macy’s ads I’m getting now.

Really, you should! :joy:

1 Like

Model companies very likely don’t do digital ad spends through Google AdWords and other platforms because it’s a niche interest. You’d be wasting money. They buy reviews and ads in model sites only, where available.

Sigh….now I’m getting ads for dating foreign girls….secret dating I might add. This is definitely not SEO based. The site must be just plugged into the standard AdWords (or similar) system. Kinda annoying tbh. Makes browsing on the couch with the wife and kids around a bit awkward.

2 Likes

I just started getting those foreign dating girls ads just right when I posted the above!

Haha. Just have some Russian language ability, be a related ethnicity and russianbrides dot com shows up on the debit card history…

That went over real well with the wife, you can be sure. Oh yeah.

There was a time there when I think my debit card was hacked five times in less than two years,

Good times. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Excuse me while I fall asleep viewing my ads:

Yeah, now that I complained, all my ads are very boring and normal.

I’ll remember that next time! lol

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that one of the models had some down south piercing jewelry in one ad photo… :smirk:

I just get ad’s for signage for industrial machinery

I had to scroll back to 4 days ago to find this one

Seven days ago there is a 3D-printer

I’ve read through this again and still think it’s gatekeeping drivel aimed at invalidating everyone who enjoys the enhancements to our hobby now available. I love PE and 3D printing.

I’d have a miserable time trying to match 3D printed studded anchor cable or these exquisite gun mounts in 1/350

I’ve done plenty scratch building from nothing including making my own drawings

I still scratch build stuff when it’s the best way to achieve the final result I want. 3D printing is currently the best way to get really good detail for certain things on models. The best way to get a 16ft sailing dinghy I like the look of and fitted out the way I want it is to build it myself, again out of nothing.

Scratch building does not imply superiority. It just implies you’ve spent more time getting your end result.

16 Likes