The Gordon Highlanders in Dargai 1897 | ModelGeek

A stunning piece of history captured by modeler Gustavo Gil Campos with his Gordon Highlanders at Dargai 1897; with fantastic painting and composition.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://modelgeek.com/news/the-gordon-highlanders-in-dargai-1897
6 Likes

Absolutely superb. This reminds me of Sid Horan’s work. Classic. Not forgetting the Gurkha on the left too!

Absolutely stunning in painting, ground work composition etc. wish I had such skills.

Presumably the wounded piper is George Findlater winning his VC.

Regards,

M

It must be! There’s a detailed description of Findlater (and discussion over what tunes he played) in George MacDonald Fraser’s anthology “The Complete McAuslan” and a cracking read it all is; you may well, of course, be aware.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up on the anthology, I read “The General Danced at Dawn” and “McAuslan in the Rough” when they first appeared (and remember “The Dirtiest Soldier in the World” on TV) but was unaware of “The Sheikh and the Dustbin”; I must read that. The description of “14687347 Private McAuslan, J., the British Army’s answer to Gollum” makes me wish I had the sculpting skills to make Andy Serkis’ CGI avatar in the (dress) uniform of a Highland regiment. My Dad’s RAMC unit was assigned to the 227th (Highland) Infantry Brigade, which included 2nd Bn, the Gordon Highlanders (but before MacDonald Fraser’s day) which presumably why he had a Gordon’s cap badge among his souvenirs.

Cheers,

M

I must admit the McAuslan stories are brilliant; here they’re combined under one cover - for around a tenner; ignore the confusing illustration on the front, I have no idea why it was used; however you get the lot here, and very good they are too. MacDonald Fraser is a fantastic story teller and here his memoires are humorous, informative and poignant.

I found myself particularly moved when he was narrating his pride in his Platoon at the end of a route march; he clearly liked his soldiers, a facet which sadly, in my experience, not all British officers invest in.

As you probably know, he was commissioned at the end of WW2 (into the Gordons) after his service in the Burma campaign, (in the Border Regiment) which he recounts in the peerless “Quartered Safe Out Here”; also highly recommended.

1 Like