The hunt for the Iron Cross

Hi boys! New topic, new diorama! It’s in Italy 1943, after the landings at the mainland.
It’s German vs Americans, some Germans do everything to get the Iron Cross.

Building, wall, groundwork is scratched, figures are from Zvezda, Caesar and Speira.
First some pictures from the start:

The palm tree is made by a shoestring, the leaves are laser cut in paper, got them from a friend.
I did not take pictures during the build of it, show you next time.

This is the status right now. More groundwork has to be done, details on wall and building and figure painting.
I will keep you posted. The goal is to have it ready for the C4-open show last weekend in October.
Cheers!

8 Likes

Wasn’t that the plot to a movie? :star_struck:
Ken

2 Likes

Yet another lovely little set piece. The one thing (apart from many other aspects of the builds) is the speed at which you do these, but also the maintained super high standards of craftsmanship that goes into each one…
Well done so far :+1:

1 Like

Ha ha, yeah, It’s called Cross of Iron.

Thanks John! What do you think of the title? Is it correct in English or should I change it?
/Erik

Yeah I’m not sure hunt is the right word in this context, as hunt would usually mean looking for it with intent.
Also as the Iron Cross was really an award for bravery/leadership they wouldn’t normally be sought, these type of things happen on the spur of the moment in most cases…

Maybe something like “Battle won, the Iron Cross” ? Will give it some more thought

1 Like

Seems like “Where the Iron Crosses Grow” could make an appropriate title maybe.

The US book & movie Cross of Iron were translated and based on the German book The Willing Flesh by Willi Heinrich

Captain Stransky: I will show you how a true Prussian officer fights.

Sargeant Steiner: Then I will show you, where the Iron Crosses grow.

4 Likes

One of many Sam Pickenpah greats.

3 Likes

Which is what Stransky does in the movie. Its a matter of prestige. I’m not sure how much that was done in real life, but some people will do anything to get a medal/decoration like that. In any case, the title reminded me of the movie, so I really want to see how it all works out.
Ken

1 Like

I’d say this refers more to the grave yard… grey metal crosses on German war cemetaries…

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I will figure out the title.
I have kept working with the groundwork.
Next is to fix the opening in the wall.
Some pictures:
/Erik

4 Likes

Nice diorama as usual and I’m sure you’ll find a good name for the dio and good luck on the C4 :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks!
Actually I could go for another title, “Chasing Kilroy”.
As you see the chalk that the American used to draw Kilroy on the wall is on the ground. Americans left without finishing the classic wall art.

4 Likes

Lots of lovely little bits of detailing here. All time consuming but very well thought through and make it all look superb.

1 Like

Today I added a telephone pole to the right, I think it gives even more 3D feeling.
Cheers

5 Likes

Devastatingly good! I use the word devastate because it devastates any thoughts i’ve ever had that I have any talent…….

Please keep up the good work and keep sharing it with us!!

Absolutely love it.

1 Like

What an amazing little dio Erik. You have created another brilliant scene with so much detail. Wonderful job … and thats without any figures in it !!

1 Like

Fantastic, doesn’t even need anything else added, beautiful as it is!!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys!
Today I made a bicycle and played around with some Americans just for fun and practice for future projects.

7 Likes

All these little extra additions and different figures are really great and show how versatile the ground scenes you build can be. :+1:

1 Like