The Patton tank goes to war | Armorama

I finished working with this model. I have seen that it is a fairly simple kit, without major problems for assembly, with very good instructions.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/patton-tank-goes-to-war
4 Likes

Despite it’s shortcomings I always liked this kit. You have done a cracking job. Excellent weathering and dusting showing the ubiquitous red dirt of certain regions of Vietnam. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Very nice. The cast texture over the turret looks good.

1 Like

The Tamiya kit is decent model. It can be updated nicely. Yours looks pretty good with minor updates. I would still recommend changing out the tracks. They are actually quite incorrect. Other than being soft on details, the center guide teeth are located in the wrong spot; on the center of each track block as opposed to between each block. Changing them will bring up the overall detail greatly.

1 Like

DANG! I never noticed that fault when I built mine 25 years ago.
They got the end connectors right but had to compromise on the center guides.
On their M3 Lee/Grant the end connectors were on the end of the links instead of joining two links …
Time for that model to go back to the workshop for some new tracks …

1 Like

Hi Armorsmith,
Many thanks for you kind words, i’m glad you like it. This is another of the kits that have served as a guinea pig like the Panther A from Italeri, on my return to the hobby, after almost 25 years …
Cheers and TC
Francis. :+1:

Hi kospueone,
Many thanks for your kind comment, i’m glad you like it.
Cheers and TC

Hi HeavyArty,

Many thanks for your kind words, very interesting what you say about the tracks, I did not know.
Sure it could use the correct tracks very well, but, as I mentioned before, it is one of the guinea pigs that I have finished on my return to the hobby after almost 25 years, therefore, a cheap kit, to catch up on everything new … if I add some new tracks, surely, they cost me as much as the original kit … lol
Cheers and TC
Francis. :+1: :+1:

If you do decide to build another one, the AFV Club tracks are not that expensive of an add on.

Like what you did with the existing kit.

1 Like

Hi Robin,
thanks for comment, I’d love to correct, that, now that I know, but the “stash” just keeps growing with newer and better kits … lol
Cheers and TC

1 Like

Hi Tank:1812,
i’m glad you like it, thanks for the info.
Cheers and TC

Not only have you done a masterful job with an older kit with its shortcomings but you have captured Vietnam “red” — it’s soil, mud and dust — like no other I have seen since the real thing many, many moons ago. GREAT JOB! Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Hi 5thMech,
Many thanks for your kins words, i’m glad you like it, I have more photos from other angles of the model, if you are interested, you can see it in another forum to which I belong, with a WIP thread and another RTI, just tell me, and I send you a link.
Cheers and TC
Francis. :+1: :+1:

Francis, I’d LOVE to see your additional photos. Yes, please send me the link. Did you use any particular photo or video references to capture the mud and dust so perfectly?

Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Hi 5thMech,

Thanks for your interest, I send you a PM via hotmail, so you can access more photos.
There you can see the references that I use too,
Cheers and TC

Hi 5thMech,
I have tried to answer you by Hotmail in my account associated with the forum, but they tell me that the connection with you is impossible, so the email returns.
I’ll try to answer you right here.
Thank you very much for your interest in the model.

If you have any other questions, just give me a whistle.
Cheers and TC

As far as I know there is no rule against linking to other sites.
Images not stored here could disappear if a photo hosting site goes out of business. This can be a problem for feature articles, build blogs et.c but that is not really relevant in the context of this topic.

1 Like

Hi Robin,
Many thanks for info. based on that, I include a link to 5thMech’s request.
Cheers and TC