The Red Baron

Some pics of Eduard’s Fokker D1, 1/48. It’s been many years (maybe 20?) since I’ve built an aircraft, but I’ve got some in my stash and I have to build them sometime.

Built OOB with some mild weathering and chipping. Open to suggestions for improvement.
:smiley:

5 Likes

His aircraft probably was kept in pretty good shape being who he was.
As an aside I was walking through a cemetery in Wiesbaden and discovered he and his brothers grave.

Yours is a beautiful build of Richthofen’s Fokker. I didn’t realize the undersides weren’t red - interesting. (Moritz seems to think so too!)

Thanks. I didn’t realize the undersides may have been red! That’s what happens when you “Ass - u - me”, or do insufficient research! :disappointed: I’ve seen too many examples (models or artwork) with incorrect style crosses; white rudders; bare metal cowlings; red (or not) undersides; etc.

Considering that the engine was the rotary Oberursel Ur.II rotary which was, like all the other rotary engines of the day, a total oil loss design, the bottom of the DR1 was no doubt a nasty, oily, drippy mess. Basically, the majority of the castor oil injected into the air-fuel mix was simply exhausted directly into the air stream after each cylinder fired.

I think you would be hard pressed to over-weather the bottom of the fuselage.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. When I get a round tuit ( :sweat_smile:) I have to repaint the A/C bottom red, and grunge up the lower front fuselage. Do you know where I can order round tuits? (Not the square ones!).

I would add some mud under the wings where it was flung/ splashed by the tires if landing on a wet field. However splashed on is different than a tank wallowing in the mud.

I’ve been out of round tuits for years. Can’t find any any where! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Preserved fabric samples from 425/17 have red undersides. The aircraft may have kept them blue for a short while after delivery, but they were soon overpainted in red.
There is no truth in the conjecture that 425 was painted red at the factory; the usual camouflage was applied, although it was more sparse on the tops of the wings, and looks to have contained more grey.than usual. Possibly for issue to a leader, who was expected to overpaint the wing tops (quite a common practice in service), but there is no known photographic or documentary evidence to confirm this.
A sample from the starboard lower wing root has a very crudely stitched patch repair to a fabric split on the leading edge under the camo, indicating that it was done at the factory!

The last piece is from the fuselage starboard side, showing normal density of streaking there

Without the little coloured squares which were my attempt to find the streak hues!
Note how dirty the forward fuselage was, although oil has probably attacked and darkened the paint over the decades.

1 Like

My interpretation of 425 after cross alteration. Note different position of rudder cross after re-covering.

1 Like

Great looking Fokker. Very well done vignette.

Jim

1 Like

Somebody had to dig pretty deep to revive this thread! :grin: (I thought 6’ was deep enough!). Since then I’ve repainted the undersides and re-decaled them. It’s a little more correct than it was.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like