The Red Baron

Some pics of Eduard’s Fokker D1, 1/48. It’s been many years (maybe 20?) since I’ve built an aircraft, but I’ve got some in my stash and I have to build them sometime.

Built OOB with some mild weathering and chipping. Open to suggestions for improvement.
:smiley:

4 Likes

His aircraft probably was kept in pretty good shape being who he was.
As an aside I was walking through a cemetery in Wiesbaden and discovered he and his brothers grave.

Yours is a beautiful build of Richthofen’s Fokker. I didn’t realize the undersides weren’t red - interesting. (Moritz seems to think so too!)

Thanks. I didn’t realize the undersides may have been red! That’s what happens when you “Ass - u - me”, or do insufficient research! :disappointed: I’ve seen too many examples (models or artwork) with incorrect style crosses; white rudders; bare metal cowlings; red (or not) undersides; etc.

Considering that the engine was the rotary Oberursel Ur.II rotary which was, like all the other rotary engines of the day, a total oil loss design, the bottom of the DR1 was no doubt a nasty, oily, drippy mess. Basically, the majority of the castor oil injected into the air-fuel mix was simply exhausted directly into the air stream after each cylinder fired.

I think you would be hard pressed to over-weather the bottom of the fuselage.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. When I get a round tuit ( :sweat_smile:) I have to repaint the A/C bottom red, and grunge up the lower front fuselage. Do you know where I can order round tuits? (Not the square ones!).

I would add some mud under the wings where it was flung/ splashed by the tires if landing on a wet field. However splashed on is different than a tank wallowing in the mud.

I’ve been out of round tuits for years. Can’t find any any where! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: