This Episode - Space 1999 Figures

Hi all fans, or should that be Alphans, of Space 1999, :smirk: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Decided to have a ‘Breakaway’ from my current ‘Earthbound’ 1/72nd A4 diorama as it’s on a ‘Collision Course’ with ‘Death’s Other Dominion’, the ‘End Of Eternity’, :wink:.

I thought I’d have a look at one of the recently purchased Cozmic Scale Model sets. Decided to have a butchers at the 1/48th ‘Moon Buggy & Astronauts’ set.

The figures are packed in a Ziploc bag, within bubble wrap…or ‘Tension Sheet’ if you’re a boy (or girl) from the dwarf, :wink:…all held in a small sturdy flip-lid cardboard box.

It contains one buggy, five figures and a decal sheet, as stated on the box lid, there is also a small instruction sheet.

You’ve probably noticed that there are only four figures above, the fifth I’ll be using as a guinea pig.

All figures have been removed from their individual lattice girders and, in general, are very clean. This is not always the case, as some of the sets I’ve purchased need the supports cut away. The buggy body is free of supports, but the wheels need to be separated from their supports.

The decal sheet appears to be quite comprehensive, with markings for the buggy, and insignia for the astronauts.

The guinea pig Alphan is carrying what I believe to be a medical case, and a transfer ‘red cross’ does appear on the decal sheet.

The figure is about 39mm high, which, allowing for the helmet would suggest a 6’ height in 1/1 scale. This figure needs very little clean-up, a brush with a toothbrush and the odd scrape was all the cleaning I performed,

however, there is a diagonal flaw in his backpack (ringed in ‘red’ below), this only occurs on this one figure and I have filled it with Milliput.

The magnified images don’t do the figures justice, with the Mk 1 eyeball they look really good.

I intend to paint this figure to see how they look in colour, but please note…I’m rubbish at figure painting, :face_exhaling: :unamused:.

Next Episode - ‘The Last Enemy’, figure painting, :angry:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

9 Likes

Nice new plan G… Figures do look promising… Would be good to see a Dio with an eagle in it …

1 Like

Thanks John, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’m thinking I might, and I repeat, might try one of those forced perspective boxed dioramas as Cozmic also do some 1/24th scale figures.

My initial idea loosely being based on the Nuclear Disposal Area 2 Monitoring Depot, especially as the ‘Catacombs’ website has some useful information, Nuclear Disposal Area 2 Depot- Moonbase Alpha Guide

The front zone would comprise 1/24th scale view from inside the depot with figures looking out through the observation windows…

Middle zone would comprise some 1/48th figures inspecting a waste storage silo, buggy and figures.

Back zone, more silos, figures etc, and maybe a hovering Eagle, all in 1/72nd scale.

However, the might is because I’m not confident I have the skills to pull it off, :thinking: :face_exhaling:. I’ve never attempted either forced perspective, nor a boxed diorama and, for all my enthusiasm for all things Anderson, I’ve never built a science fiction related kit, :unamused:.

G, :beer:

4 Likes

It’s a fantastic idea … Lots of research first before anything gets done though … And with what you’ve done in the past Dio wise … I and everyone else would be very confident you would nail it :+1:

2 Likes

Looks fascinating…subscribed

…unless the build enters the “Dragon’s Domain

Wink

2 Likes

Thanks to John and Wade for their feedback, and to Wade for playing along with episode title-play, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hi all,

As mentioned above I said I’d give this figure a lick of paint, it’s not yet finished, but I do reiterate that I’m rubbish at figure painting, :face_exhaling: :unamused:. Anyone who has followed any of my builds will know that if I get past the scenery and vehicle stages I’ll always give in once I’ve got to add figures…whatever the scale, I was never a completer/finisher, :smirk: :angry:.

This little guy is 1/48th and the magnified images don’t do the figures justice, with the Mk 1 eyeball they look really good, that is apart from my paint job, :face_exhaling: :smirk:.

I need to do some clean-up, and add some highlights, but one thing I will do to any astronaut figures I use is dirty them up, or is that down, :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I also need to add the various decals, that might improve the finished item a tad.

In the series the astronauts were always clean and bright, however, I was watching a programme about the moon and it mentioned that a large percentage of the moon’s surface was coated with ‘regolith’. Regolith, a fine layer of dust, apparently got everywhere, and the images of the NASA astronauts shows them, and equipment, covered to various degrees in moon dust, so I will do that also.

G

5 Likes

I’d be well happy with that mate … looks like a tidy little figure and the paint is nicely done.

2 Likes

Thanks for the support John, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Hi all,

Painting almost finished…

Just the decals, tiny things, :unamused:, and then moon dust…and hey presto, a completed figure…a rarity for me, :wink: :grin:.

G

6 Likes

Looks very authentic G.

2 Likes

Nice looking chap there G… Those colours give it some zing… very cool find getting them… You’re going to be building up a decent size moon base there …

2 Likes

Well here ya are !!!
Nice work G , keep at it , build what ya like and like what ya build !!!

2 Likes

Thanks to Matthew, John and Glenn for their kind words and support, much appreciated chaps, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Glenn, are you not tempted to the dark side? With your artistry I can imagine some amazing figures, :thinking: :wink:.

1 Like

Hi all,

First 1/48th scale Cozmic Scale Models’ Space 1999 astronaut pretty much done, decals on, and they really help improve the figure. The only thing you need to be careful of is that it’s one big decal sheet, so you have to carefully cut out each image as closely as you dare so as to avoid excess clear film.

I put some blobs of paint on the ‘comlock’, the tiny stepped thingy on his left hip, otherwise it looked a tad blank.

When everything is dry I’ll give it a bit of moon-dusting, but otherwise…I can’t believe I’ve actually finished a figure, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing:.

G

5 Likes

That looks terrific G… Just those few decals and your painting have taken it up to the next few levels. The details all over it jump out when you check out all the angles… Very fine work :+1:

2 Likes