Those Big Big Trucks, Such As The M54

I used watch before joining and thought it was funny. Might have a different thoughts now but I don’t put much stock in what Hollywood thinks in general about most things. It’s “entertainment”, either I like it or don’t. I am sure there will be parts I don’t like and parts I will laugh at. Surprise, surprise, surprise I wrote more then I thought I would.

Take Hogan’s Heroes. It was never meant to be an accurate depiction of life in a German POW camp. It was meant to parody other WW2-based entertainment of that era. During the Cold War, the show was kept out of West Germany, but in modern times, a Germanized version was created that is very different from the original.

Yes another great show

I hated the TV shows Tour Of Duty and China Beach. Think what turned me off about China Beach the most was how the talked about visiting Fat City.
gary

A good realistic show on World War Two was Combat with Vic Morrow.

1 Like

But, Hogan’s Heroes did manage to get a bit of the history right - there really was a POW camp near Hammelburg. The prisoners weren’t running a whole underground operation out of it though, and I don’t think the Kommandant’s name was Wilhelm Klink…

1 Like

Another funny classic tv show from my youth about the military lol

Gino, were those the same trucks that had the larger wheels with the single ones on the rear? Saw lots in Germany in ‘85-87. They were beasts!

They were probably M939 series 5-ton trucks :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_series_5-ton_6x6_truck

but earlier M809 series trucks fitted with singles at the rear could be seen as well, like this M810 :

H.P.

Yes that’s them, thanks Frenchy