Three Amigos: Takom, Tamiya & Dragon Neo - Panzer IIIN build log

I like MasterClub. I find that the molding is crisper. They are available as either resin or metal. The metal tracks connect with pins which some folks don’t like but I’ve never had a problem with them. They give you plenty so there is no worry about losing some. Last set of Frulis I got were for a BMP. Not a single link ws drilled out. MasteClub are also a bit cheaper running about $35.

2 Likes

@TopSmith & @Armorsmith Greg & Dv,

I ordered a couple a set of R Model Panther G & Section35 KV-1’s but they haven’t arrived yet. I fully agree its time to replace Fruil given how badly their quality slid.

I saw a rumor that Fruil would be leaving 3rd party distribution and be direct mail order only in the future. Any one know if there’s truth to that?

That would be the nail in the coffin.

1 Like

The bogie wheel assembly on Takom’s M3 Lee drove me nuts. It seems you just never know what you’re gonna get with Takom. Although they do put out some interesting subjects

1 Like

This is true. Its stated on Fruils website.

1 Like

Sounds like Fruil is on the path of the Dodo bird ounless they make a much needed drastic improvement.

Halfway, these vintage crisp clean moldings are a joy to work with compared to the last set of wire pin Fruils used.

8 Likes

They look really good on that wagon. Not built a German WWII kit in years as I do modern, Cold War stuff now but following this thread has kind of given me the urge to do one.

1 Like

@Armorsmith DV, I get what you mean. Definitely kick the road wheels on a WW2 build!

I like Cold War and Modern used to do two WW2 then do a CW/Modern :slight_smile: There are so many interesting subjects it’s hard to pick a CW/Modern. MENG has a M2A3 Bradley that looks fantastic! Likewise Takom’s Chieftain has much appeal.

I’ve built both the kits you mentioned, although I do not remember which mark of the Chieftain I built. I think you can get the Bradley either with or without the interior. If you can get one of their M60 kits they are fine as well. They do a USMC M60A1 with ERA as used in DS and an M60A1. Here’s my A1 M60A1 MASSTER | Armorama™ They are reportedly going to do an M60A3

1 Like

The M60A1 MASSTER turned out excellent! Really like it. I have an old Tamiya M60A3 plus Fruil M142 tracks I think. They are octagon like tread) to build one of these days.

Did see a step specifically calling out the track install so this will be step 5A.

Step 5A Tracks <3 hours 30 minutes> total time <7hours 57 minutes >

A random link needed a deburr but this set of tracks was really a cake walk.

4 Likes

I built the Takom Chieftain Mk 5. It is an awesome kit! I want to do another one.

1 Like

I have a question about the Dragon kit. If I am not mistaken, the photo’s online at Dragon USA show it comes with an interior but none of the text mentions it. Can you give me a yes or no on the interior?

1 Like

Thanks. I generally don’t post my work but I figured I better put up a couple of things to establish my credibility if I’m going to comment on the work of others and offer suggestions/tips.

1 Like

@TopSmith Greg, yes Dragon “Neo5 Smart Kit Pz IIIN” has an interior. It’s not shown on the main instruction sheet. It’s shown on a one page stand alone instruction sheet. Here are a few pics.

Looks simple enough, though it would be a good tank interior to tackle before trying something more complicated.

1 Like

Was the interior part of your build plan or just gravy.

Part of a plan, I thought Takom would have best detail, Tamiya would most fun to build & Dragon would be best value with link & length tracks, great detail plus an interior all in one box. Also I really want to see what a NEO kit was all about.

1 Like

I have enjoyed your builds so far. It has helped me in the choice between Takom and Tamiya. I am looking to see how Dragon plays in the mix.

@Armorsmith DV you should post more of your work. I enjoy seeing and I’m sure others so as well.

@TopSmith Greg thank you, happy to share and talk armor hobby. Perfect kit bash- steal a set of Takom skirts, cupola, spaced armor plate & tracks for the Tamiya kit :grinning::smiley::slightly_smiling_face:

An hour of time because I’m too frugal to buy PE fenders for the Tamiya kit:

Result

4 Likes

I have a couple of things on. Like I said I don’t usually post. No camera and only use a flip phone. Have to rely on a friend. Maybe next time I see him I can get him to take some more photos.

2 Likes

@Armorsmith DV my friend, please for the good and benefit of our forum please consider a new smart phone. Likewise I enjoy your insightful posts and comments.