Thunder Model 1/35 Scammel Tank Transporter

This is a continuation of my build thread in the old forum…

Khaki Green #3 (according to Mike Starmer’s excellent treatise on British WWII scheme’s the factory colour) is on. Chipped the cab floor to show some of the wood and faded it in places. Should allow for the cab to be fitted (and engine) and then the cab interior to be added as well as decals for the dials…

4 Likes

ok… so cab and engine in place… need to add some small PE parts to the engine and the seats levers etc to the cab… must say I am rather happy with how this is progressing…

2 Likes

NIce work on the interior I plan to keep a close eye on your build since I have one of these unstarted. What exterior are you planning Europe or North Africa.

Thanks for the comments, hope to get at least one seat in today. It will be Caunter scheme (have seen 1 photo of a cab with that paint job). Will use the Khaki Green No 3 as the darkest colour (using the MAFVA paint guide from Mike Starmer to give me inspiration).

so, seats, 2 boxes and some levers in… next up steering column & linkage and exhaust I believe (Still no sign of replacement radiator and TM have gone VERY silent on it :-()

2 Likes

Having sub assemblies built means it progress in blocks… rear wheel mountings added, air filter, exhaust, steering column and linkage (need to paint the steering wheel and lever then that will be added and then the sides of the cab.

2 Likes

two big milestones today. dry-fitted cab wheels and the cab is on. now all i need is a damn replacement radiator (or to find a way to cover it - some proof of a sadn cover to protect it from a sandstorm would be useful (for any vehicle used by any side in North Africa to be honest).

and the load has re-appeared… really looking forward to starting the painting on this one

4 Likes

Hi Rob,

outstanding! Great show!

build complete… painting will have to wait until the New Year I am afraid

1 Like

with my first piece of “proper” soldering I finished the cab. now need to mask everything up and protect the interior of the cab before I can start painting

2 Likes

Hi

I love these Scammell trucks and have 2 in the stash. One to be built in Europe and the tractor unit om its own. The tractor will be a post- war civvy heavy haulage unit from the '50’s.

Will watch this closely as it’s look pretty good.

Regards jason

1 Like

finally got round to masking up and creating a wheel forest (plus 80% of sprues still have parts on that need painting before detatching)… primer tomorrow…

2 Likes

Outstanding job Robert!

thanks… and primed… will start on the painting next weekend (not 100% I will go caunter I am afraid, may just go light stone plain scheme)

1 Like

finally got round to the main colour - AK Interactive Light Stone (and some fading with white)

and with the Matilda on…

4 Likes

It certainly takes centre stage Rob, looks great, and with the Matilda on the back stands out even more so … great job :+1:

This is an awesome build… I build a Thundermodel railway wagon, and, though some details are sketchy, or leaves you to gues what and how, the detailing is top notch.
Did you manage to get a new radiator? I wrote them a mail and a message through FB, but never got any response…

thanks… I was cheeky with the new radiator and asked IBG who make the same (similar) kit. For postage they sent me the whole sprue that the radiator comes on - and fits with just a little sanding of the thunder model radiator housing…

Nice move :grin:

1 Like