Tiger I mid

Tiger mids are hard to get your hands on around me. Yet I have at least a half dozen (probably closer to ten) Tiger I late tracks and a few Tiger early tanks. Is it possible to back date a Tiger late to a mid issue tank? If so would a Tamiya be a good starting point? Most kits I have are RFM and Dragons, and the Tamiya kits are simply rotting of the shelf.
gary

As far as I know, because of the gradual changes in design, there are different fit and finish of each Tiger I during its production. The Tiger I has many more miss matched vehicles between the definitive “early standard” and the definitive “late standard”, so many set up can constitute the “mid” production.
Most of the time though, if it doesn’t have “steel wheels” and If it doesn’t have pipes on the back deck and HL210 engine style back plate, it is a “mid”.
Manlet faces, commander hatch, visors, roof style, zimmerit, etc, can be overlooked.
For the tracks, anything that’s not an early early production Tiger will use late production track.

That answer is just wrong.

• many, many “Mid” Tigers had the Feifel system installed.
  • the definition of “Mid Tiger” is that it has the new cupola and the old “rubber” wheels.
  • the first half of the “Mid” Tigers had the early tracks.

David

1 Like

my knowledge of Tiger tanks isn’t great by any means, but have been wanting to build a couple mid Tigers for a couple years. From your answer, the best starting place is with an early hull; right?
gary

Well, the easiest kit to use would be any one of the eleven “Mid Tiger” kits that have been released already in 1/35 scale. Some of them are out of production, but you can easily find Mids from Tamiya, Rye Field, Dragon and Airfix/Academy.

But, bear in mind that a lot of changes happened to the Tiger during the “Mid” period. All of those kits address the end, or near the end, of the run. No model manufacturer has ever modelled a “Mid” from the beginning of the run.

David

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder why? So if you want an “Early-Mid” you are better post dating an “Early”?

I would combine parts from an “early” and a “final Mid”.

David

what do you think about starting with the RFM 5003 kit? Or just one of their IP’s
gary

5003 is an early “early”. It doesn’t have the S-mine system, which you would want.

David

1 Like

I think there is one that does in their inventory. Maybe 5001 or the Tunisian Tiger
gary