Tips I wish someone told me to make modeling easier or to improve appearance of my model

I think the good nature and genuine help offered on sites, especially this one by what I have seen can help make all the difference to modellers old and new. I have been modelling for probably what ?.. on and off for 40 years and only to what I would say is a medium standard, but I know that I have learnt over 50% if not more of the techniques and the way I build things from what I have learnt from people on this site.

Nie topic!

I’ve been modeling for over 50 years, and I’ve gotten to the point now that all I do is shake the box of the model I wish to display, take off the box top, dump out the kit on the table, and it lands perfectly built and painted (sarcasm intended). :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, I always heard about Dymo tape. The picture and information could help me with a future build.
Take care and stay safe friends.

Suggest me how to cut this wheel from the sprue without making a huge mess:

The link is too thick for scissors, my sprue cutters are too big and don’t fit between the wheel teeth and there’s not enough space for a box cutter blade. Thanks Zvezda.

I was thinking of using a flat screwdriver and gently hammering it on the link but I am open to suggestions.

Please don’t use the flat screwdriver!!
Using your sprue cutters, cut at an angle from the top of one tooth to a deep as you can. Then with a new blade carefully carve out the remaining sprue gate. There isn’t any real trick for this problem…and yes…thanks manufacture. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Good luck
:nerd_face:

1 Like

How can I even fit a blade in there? All I got is a box cutter…maybe I could work with the blade point…

I see the problem…good to know… :thinking:
if a box cutter is all you have then it will take some finesse. Use only the very very tip and work from both sides and slowly cut away the gate…not a great answer I know…sorry.

Now I’m not being a smart-A#* here. The main issue is tools. I recently got my father-in-law started in the hobby and for him I got a started set of tools. While I understand your working on this kit now I strongly suggest taking a look at this…

Modeler Basic Tools at Amazon
For the cost of a cheap kit this tool set will serve you for the foreseeable future.

I avoided those because they get terrible reviews.

I just bought:

–An Army Painter angled sprue cutter; its great, it goes trough plastic like its not even there but they simply do not fit in such tiny space.
–Revell files set and tweezers sets, both cheap and great quality.

I do have a small flat screwdriver that could fit…why do you think hammering it would be bad?
Hey, maybe I could use one of the smaller files…

The reviews for this set is on the good side and have actually seen this I was surprised how good it was. Sure there are better quality tools out there but this a great starter set that would recommend.
Anywho…as you have a few basic tools then it comes down to the box cutter. You definitely need to replace that with a proper hobby blade. in doing so you clean up of parts will greatly improve beyond what you are achieving now.

As for the screwdriver the risk of splitting the drive sprocket or damaging the teeth is high and you’ll end up with a bigger mess. If the small file fits the use that for sure.

Thanks, will try the files.

Anyway, I suppose that files or not, the wheel will still require some filing regardelss…there’s no way I can get a 100% clean cut.

With the Army Painter cutters I never had to do it, they are sharp clean

I used large “Nail grooming clippers” for years before I finally got a sprue nipper. Sometimes you have to clip the tree away from the part in order to manuever the clippers close enough. :crossed_fingers:

Cajun :crocodile:

2 Likes

That’s not my case, the (fat) sprue is conveniently placed between the teeth so nothing short of a blade point can get close.

Every modeler requires a #11 blade in a #1 handle. It’s an essential and required tool, no matter what you model. With it you could get to the attachment point between the sprocket teeth and clean out the sprue. It really is a modelers most essential tool. I suggest you buy one.
Using a screwdriver and hammer would be the same as twisting the piece off the sprue, leaving a ragged gash in the part. You don’t want that.

Quality tools that can be used on many different projects prove the best hobby investments over time.

The blades I find most useful are high quality #11 & #15 scalpel blades in a hobby knife handle. Likewise #11 Testor’s Hobby Knife blades are pretty good in a #1 hobby knife handle. These are all very sharp so a little care and caution go a long way to avoiding nicks and cuts.

Hammering :hammer: on plastic parts can set a cascade of problems in motion. In general model building is much more of a finesse game than a brute force game in my experience.

:laughing::rofl: looks like @SSGToms Matt had his second cup of coffee before me again!

2 Likes

Fourth Wade, fourth! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Matt, I’m way way behind today still the 1st cup :slight_smile:

1 Like

The no.11 blade is essential, and I also highly recommended getting done kind of razor saw. I used the Tamiya photo etch saw blade. I rarely use my sprue cutter anymore as I can get pretty much all of the attachment point with the saw

Get a pin vise and drill out 'ya dang mg barrels!

Just link me one good blade for the job, all these numbers really mean nothing to me lol