Titan Submersible from Special Hobby. A genuine case of 'too soon'?

Sure, it would have been in development over the past six months (maybe), but did no one watch the news?

5 Likes

What is the source of this?
There’s no mention of this on Special Hobby’s website or Facebook page.

Missing-Titanic-Submarine-Memes-22

What’s next 1/6 scale bust of Captain Crunch?

5 Likes

It looks to be a real kit. Special Hobby is showing it on their web page.

N72045 Titan Submarine 1/72 (specialhobby.info)

Scalemates is showing 3D printed parts for it as well.

I don’t think it is too soon. Was it too soon when models with Ukraine decals or Russian Z decals came out right after the invasion? People like to model current events. This is just another example of that. It is just a model of an object, nothing more. Now if someone were to make a diorama of it crushed with the dead crew around it, that may be too far, too soon.

12 Likes

Don’t know if the crew would be recognizable as such if outside the ruptured sub, so it might not actually upset anyone.

1 Like

All too true.

If someone were to model the crushed Titan, a small piece of lead foil would suffice.

5 Likes

Brilliant marketing… :joy:

Given the thermobaric effect of having the atmosphere in the submersible suddenly compressing when the hull fails, you could take a pile of flat plastic sheeting, spin it in a food processor to reduce it to small chips, scatter it across a diorama base of the ocean floor, and call it a day.

2 Likes

i have agree, this is seriously bad timing for the release of this kit, someone in the PR dept should have their nuts scrambled for this…although what’s that saying “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” hmmm I’d disagree on that one.

Bottom line for me is this:

I was at the WTC on 9/11 and saw things I can’t unsee.

But I laughed when I saw this online a few months later.

The actual event still saddens me, but you can’t always help what elicits a spontaneous laugh from you.

Ultimately laughter is the best medicine, but it takes some people a little longer to warm up to the dose than others.

I might build one as a tribute to hubris and zealous attachment to ideology.

4 Likes

Nah,no problems at all with it here.

1 Like

Well said. Agreed!

Actually, several relatively intact components were retrieved, including the semispherical front portion.

2 Likes

I confess to being surprised at that, given the crushing weight there of approximately 8t per square inch. Incredible.

From around the web…

The sub was essentially a carbon-fibre tube with titanium end caps. The carbon fibre failed, and the ensuing implosion popped off the end caps, which themselves were not damaged. (Like squashing a Pringles can, and watching the plastic cap fly off…) IIRC those end caps were some 5 inches thick.

2 Likes

Indeed - but if somebody did, this 1:72 scale kit would need figures of around 1:144 scale. I read a navy guy’s account of taking a polystyrene foam cup down to 3000 metres, it came back up “the size of a large thimble”. The Titan was at up to 3,800 metres :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

They wouldn’t need figures at all. I’m a bit surprised there was anything in the wreckage that was identifiable as human remains. Being in the “Titan” when it imploded would have been like being inside the cylinder of a very big diesel engine, only incredibly faster and to a much greater compression. Apart from the air in the crew compartment there would have been combustibles: hydrocarbons, human fat, etc. It would only take milliseconds (faster than the reaction time of human senses, therefore, in effect, painless) for the compression, ignition and exhaust phases of the cycle; the compression being the implosion which superheats the contents of the crew compartment, the ignition being the spontaneous combustion of the vapourised contents, and the exhaust being the expanding fireball whose pressure will briefly exceed that of the water column. I suspect the human remains may have been calcined bone fragments incorporated into the inner surface of the titanium hemisphere.
The foam cup isn’t an appropriate analogy as it could only have been outside the pressure vessel and therefore would be subject gradually increasing pressure during the descent which would collapse the voids in the material and reduce it to it’s most dense compacted form.
:mortar_board:
Still, the model will look good in a fish tank…
:coral::fish: :tropical_fish: :shell: :octopus: :shark::coral:
Cheers

M

2 Likes

Stating the obvious, I know, but I remain astonished anyone could be convinced to climb into a huckster’s bolted down tube maneuvered by a gaming controller.

Yes, truly hubristic to so breezily dismiss glaring safety concerns. It seems these ultra wealthy truly think they will always throw sevens.

How it looks from my perspective.

1 Like

Sort of like putting Kevlar caps on the ends of an egg, and pretending that the egg is indestructible. :exploding_head: :face_with_head_bandage:
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like