Track armor for Shermans

Hello All,

I have some questions concerning the use of track as supplemental armor on Sherman tanks. How was it attached? I’ve tried to find pictures and most of those I have found lead me to believe it was welded on. The pictures were small and with my eyesight not being so good it was hard to discern much. A few appeared to have been bolted on but that seems that it would have been a more difficult and time-consuming method.

In the photos some tracks were mounted with the guide teeth facing in others showed them with the teeth facing out. Any idea of why that might have been. Thanks to any and all that will take time to lend a hand with time and information.

God Bless You,

Joe :+1: :+1:
1 Like

by weldings

2 Likes

Hi smolensk,
Thanks for your reply and the link. Just took a quick look at it. Will be going back for a more in depth look at some point. I thought the Shermans with the wire mesh were pretty wild. Never saw anything like that before.
God Bless You,
Joe

1 Like

Most likely welded in place. You can see on this Canadian Sherman, two separate types of metal tracks; T62 and T54E1 tracks.

1 Like