Trumpeter 1:35 LCM(3) with Crew

I’m loving the new forums, and I figured I’d post an update on my current project. I’m working on the Trumpeter LCM (3). I’ve also got the crew kit to go along with it.

So far, the kit has been going well, but there is a massive amount of sanding and seam hiding that needs to be done to make this look good. There is one that runs the around the entire hull where the top piece attaches, and I’ve been spending a ton of putty and time trying to sand that back to smooth. Overall, its a good kit, almost everything needs a ton of seam work to make it look good, so I’ll be spending a bunch of time puttying, sanding, priming, and repeating as needed.

1 Like

Nice start! I’ll be looking forward to seeing more updates as you progress along.

Very nice! I have built their 1/350 offering and it came out looking very spiffy so the 1/35 should look amazing :smiley:

Work continues apace on the LCM(3)

I’ve got most of the main build completed, will start on the PE work tonight.

2 Likes

Color/Reference Request:

I mixed up a match of Tamiya Med Blue (XF-18) and Sky Grey (XF-19) as a color test. I like it, but it probably a bit too blue, will probably add some more grey for the final color.

Also, I’ve been looking around, but I can’t find any reference photos of how the wheel or gauges looked in these things.

I’m guessing the wheel is wood, and the gauges are black with white indicators, but I really don’t know. What about the panels, do they match the ship?

If anyone has any reference material, I’d be most appreciative, my search has so far returned nothing.

2 Likes

Nice progress, looking forward to seeing more.

David

PE work completed, and I have started on the figures. I need to add the cabling this weekend, and then it’s on to paint.

3 Likes

Looking well! The putty and sanding sessions do bear their fruits! Will you drill out the barrels of the guns too?

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten to drill out the barrel of the guns, I will definitely do that before I put the primer coat down.

1 Like

Your welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Barrels drilled

2 Likes

Looks 100% better!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Assembly and primary painting is complete. I couldn’t find a color match I really like, so I mixed some Tamiya XF-18 and XF-19 to get a better blend of blue and grey. I’m not sure if I’m 100% happy with it, but I might tone it down later with weathering and some filters.

Next step is decals

![image|666x500]
Untitled2

5 Likes

Coming along nicely. Don’t sweat the color. Anything close will do. Weathering, the elements, etc. all take their toll on paint so unless it’s brand new I wouldn’t worry to much about it. That said as long as your happy with it it’s good. Waiting to see more.

1 Like

One more detail, I added a tiny D-Day map for the captain.

5 Likes

I’ve got this pretty well built up. I’ve included my M7 Priest for a little extra detail. I need to do some additional weathering along the sides and top, but I’m happy with how it looks.

3 Likes

Johnny,

Your LCM(3) looks good!

I did Trumpeter’s 1/144 version a while back:

but I thought it looked boring with no crew or cargo - the M7 Priest you included in yours adds a lot!

3 Likes

LCM’s are such blocky, stubby, ugly little boats. I love them! Lots of character in their simplicity :slight_smile:

Your’s looks great. Lovely build.

2 Likes

What McRunty said, yet echoed in a much smoother voice LOL. Great effort into this Sir. Love the map too.

1 Like