Trumpeter BMP-3 use in Ukraine

Hi all:
Has anyone built the trumpeter BMP-3 kits? I have the ‘early version’, looks nice, not quite ultra-modern, but no complaints.
It seems the ‘early version’ isnt employed in Ukraine from pics I see, but the later versions (updated wheels & sprockets) are? Anyone seen different? Would like to try to model mine as in the current conflict.

2 Likes

You could model it but it still needs some new parts, namely the idlers, the Trumpeter early version is actually a preproduction, and a few things were changed when production started, fast forward to the Ukraine and there are a lot of changes, there are some using the older style sights but a lot are using newer sights and projectors, I have not seen the old style search lights mounted, the sprockets are near enough the same just have a retaining ring added to the outside.

If you study the photos from Ukraine you will see that just about all the upgrades are in the kit too. They are meant for another kit variant (I think the UAE one) but they are there. Different sprockets, different idlers, different bow plate details, etc. Note the way the unditching log is usually on the side instead of the top on vehicles in the Ukraine. I got the eduard detail set and it was helpful too. Here is mine using the parts discussed above. I believe the only missing parts might be the sights/optics on the turret. But I do have one photo that shows the older ones in the kit.

7 Likes

Thx Simon- yep just went to Trumpys site & ordered up some road wheels, besides that my kit has all I need to build a reasonable representation. Saw a couple pics showing the older UV searchlights, so should be OK. Thanks for the help!

Hey Robert, wow thats nice! Agreed, all the parts needed for a reasonable Ukraine BMP-3 build is in the early kit; I just picked up a sprue of later road wheels from Trumpys site.
Great advice on the Eduard set, hopefully not too complicated.
Unbelievable detail in that dio! Love the accessories!!

I have not been saving pictures of the older variants just the newer ones which have a lot more changes than just the sights, that said I do remember pictures of the older types, with the changes to the wheels you should be good to go

Agreed, the Trumpeter kits depict older vehicles.

heres a still taken from video

2 Likes

Thanks. The Trumpeter kit is missing the tow cables and their mounts, but that is easy to add with bent wiring and extra PE. Plenty of real vehicles did not have their tow cables so i did not bother with the tow cables. I wanted to show an abandoned vehicle so that meant lots of open hatches, and that meant detailing the sparse interior. Also, I wanted to show how the Russians stole everything they could get their hands on, so I have civilian stuff lying around after someone rifled through the disabled vehicle.

Ah good call with the tow cables - Trumpeters newer kits contain cable ends, I can steal some of those.
Also I see that Eureka XXL have interesting tow cables that may work.
Have you seen their BMD-4 kits? Wonder if they depict newer vehicles.

No, I don’t know about the BMD-4 kits.
What are your plans with the hatches?

The newer vehicles are the BMD 4M which only has the same turret as the BMD 4 on a variation of the BMP 3 chassis, there are only some minor differences in the BMD 4M production run. Trumpeter make both the BMD 4 and the BMD 4M

My plan is for drivers compartment hatches open, maybe one rear one open. Theres a couple Eduard sets that cover interior/exterior, suggestions?

Wow their BMD-4 are expensive for what you get!

1 Like

IMO if you leave those rear hatches open you need to detail that area. I used the Eduard set and it was helpful. For me, I had to really dial it up in that rear area so I detailed the middle area under the horizontal mid post. I also added the missing cabling on those large troop hatches. For the rear doors I added the missing detail there, including the piping. Further inside I added the missing support posts and replaced the oversimplified side troop seats. They really hinge from the sides and fold up so I did that. There is actually a toilet in the left rea bench seat in real life - FYI. I am not aware any other IFV having that detail. Lots of strapping too, on the ceiling and on the wall sides.

1 Like

6 Likes

FYI, the warrior also has that feature which predates the BMP 3. That some nice work on the very basic kit interior, I tried the same in 1/72 it got very cramped very quick especially the turret basket.

2 Likes

Seems to have a wide price range depending on where you get it, I only model 1/72 so my only option was resin for the 4M every other BMD is available in plastic of varying quality and not a lot cheaper.

1 Like

And the Chieftain predates the warrior … not that we ever ever used it lol

1 Like

If I recall correctly, didn’t the Scorpion and Scimitar also have one?

2 Likes