Trumpeter/I Love Kit M48A1

Thank you for sharing the info and photos.

A big plus of the kit is the mantlet cover, the pe for the bustle rack and the tracks. For that price though I would like more in the box, most have already been mentioned. The molded on handles are a big let down though.

If they release a proper small hatch M48 I might have to get a couple of kits though, for a Jordanian vehicle and a captured Jordanian upgraded to Magach 3 standards, provided that the proper tracks are included.

1 Like

While the two piece barrel is a let down, it seems easy enough to replace with round/tube styrene as the barrel is not tapered right? The muzzle being the exception on replacing.

I bet DEF model mantlet will do just fine, barrel included

I have always considered that Trumpeter was leaving areas of the kit unattended in order for the after market companies to be able to offer products for the kit, but this is mainly owed to their aircraft/ship kits, not the armor/afv ones.

2 Likes

Nikos,
Iā€™m hoping for a straight M48 from Takom rather than ILK overpricing. So to depict a small hatch M48, how hard would it be to CAD and 3D print an appropriate turret? Iā€™m interested in making one.

1 Like

Yes, I think Iā€™ll wait to see what Takom does too. The hardest thing for a straight M48 is the asymmetrical casting of the .50 cal MG mount. IMO, Trumpeter, HB/ILK have been way overpriced. Their molding finesse, fit and engineering is ok, but not up to the competition like RFM, Meng et al. But especially in a lot Russian subjects, they are the only game in town. Same in their ship line, overpriced, but they crank out subjects no one else is doing.

2 Likes

The problem is not the turret but the driverā€™s hatch. You need a new upper hull in order to get a proper M48.

This is a Magach 3 that was previously operated by the Royal Jordanian Army and started as a M48
(the registration number starting with 1 indicates a captured vehicle)

Other details would be the 50 cal storage mount in front of the loader atop the turret and of course the Chrysler cupola, but there are some from Slingshot left around in stores.

2 Likes

Shootā€¦ As always, life is more complicated than youā€™d like. I guess Iā€™ll have to wish for a [reasonable] plastic offering from one of the major manufacturers insteadā€¦

2 Likes

Looking at the sprues, all I can think is ā€œTakomā€. And then I recall the Takom M3 Mediums, going off market and then reappearing in ā€œILKā€ boxes at almost twice the price. I smell a rat.

They are not the same. I have their M3A1 and its nothing like takomā€™s kit.

@ Dan: Now Iā€™m curious.

The sprues look more like a Trumpeter/Dragon offering.
Takom sprues always seem to have a square profile and a different attachment style.

2 Likes

See if you can find the trees from both kits online and compare the two companies kits.

Infantry telephone box missing? Shouldn`t it be one on the back?

It is included in the kit, sprue P

Thanks, and is it early M48 turret basket parts on that sprue?

Yes, those are the early M48 parts on the sprue, including the basket.

Was it any M48/M48A1 hybrids? I think of M48 hull and M48A1 turret or M48A1 hull and M48 turret?

There were both, Greece had large driverā€™s hatch hulls with M48 turret and you might find some photos of US M48A1 turrets on small driverā€™s hatch hulls. But no rear tensioner wheel below the sprocket.

If you could direct me to someone who has one for sale Iā€™d appreciate it.

Thanks,
KL

Try contacting them direct slingshotmodels @ gmail.com, it is probably the easiest way