Trumpeter Mk VII

Time for an update

Hull basically done, just a few grab handles to apply and a couple of holes to fill in a side bin. References show no holes. Fit here was generally good, although a lot of flash meant a lot of test fitting and clean up, so maybe I was lucky. I have read others have not been so lucky.

Test fitting shows tools can be gently placed in their location on the rear after painting, so that is my chosen path.

I am currently working on the turret. Kit barrel is very poor. You need to remove the locating pins to get the fume extractor and barrel flare right, but you end up with a gap on one half at the barrel butt and a gap on the barrel tip on the other - badly misaligned if you fit so the ends are flush. Also the area between the barrel and and fume extractor is way too wide and missing the recess and connecting rods. I end up closing the gap with .10 x.20 strip and added stretched sprue. A little filler required as Trumpeters parts are offset as I mentioned above. I have filled the barrel end and will sand that when dry. Trumpeter has this area as a truncated cone shape when it should be a cylinder with a notable demarcation. They also give a barrel end that is too short and too fat. I will scribe the join after sanding, or I may even saw off the end and replace with a disk.

As you can see, I took the route of replacing tie downs, which I now regret. I should have gone the smart way Olivier did with his for the 8 wheeler build. I still have the other side to do now… :disappointed:

The clear parts on this kit just do not fit like they should. They need sanding as a minimum, or in the case of the largest single block, being cut down. I cut the rear off the large glass vision block and sanded the bottom and sides, and it fits fine now. No way it was going to fit otherwise.

Pics for reference:

Another kit fault is the grab handles. Trumpeter gives you ones where the legs of the ‘U’ shape are 90 degrees to the base of the ‘U’ shape, where the pics show the legs should be played outward… I decided to let that one slide…

3 Likes