Trumpeter Mk VII

The kit comes with some copper wire but I have some black coated stuff from another kit that’ll look nicer. If I’m smart I should have just about enough to do the whole thing.

I’ve been toying with load ideas, but the hook/shackle is really fragile looking, especially as I accidentally bit a chunk out trimming an unforgivably thick sprue gate.

I may see about gussying up a block of foam. In my brain I’ve made a cargo net out of strips of Tamiya tape but we’ll see how far that gets me.

2 Likes

:joy: what’s the back up plan?

2 Likes

Same as always, brute force and ignorance!

2 Likes

2 Likes

In todays “Adventures with Photo Etch”…

Main hull is built and I am moving onto the flight deck tie downs.

There are approximately 137 of the little buggers.

I did a few test ones and this is the closest cut I managed (Not sure if you can see the burr in this pic)

That burr ensured it didn’t fit properly in the hole. See how it is sitting proud.

Means I have to clean up all 137 tie downs :sob:

6 Likes

That’s painful Rory… I wouldn’t want to be doing that mate … Plus side is the flight deck will look great once they are all in situ…

Edit. For really annoyingly small bits of PE, I have just started using a small pair of nail/sowing scissors… I find it helps me follow the line along the PE as I clean it up … And it also cuts it neatly from the sprue.

2 Likes

I use a small pair of scissors too. It makes a huge difference when removing thin delicate parts. You can get quite expensive, ‘purpose made’ photo etch scissors, but mine were in a $5 ‘emergency’ sewing kit from a cheap shop.

1 Like

I’ll be joining this one with a Trumpeter KV-220 which I picked up around Christmas time. It’s another one in Trumpeters long line of KV vehicles, of which I have many. This one looks nice and simple and shouldn’t take too long to put together, so here goes.

Keep seeing various changes across thier KV’s. Upper hull is a single piece, you get two choices for AA turret, and recycling of a bunch of parts from thier earlier KV-1s.

Have seen both single and link & length track in thier KV’s, luckily we get link & length here. The track run is a bit long after all.

Got to work on it for a bit last night, got most of the turret put together. Real simple stuff, but the rear door is made up of a inner and outer part. The inner part was too big for the opening and wouldn’t sit flat. Some sanding and cutting solved that problem.

4 Likes

Welcome @35thScale_Bro nice start and looking forward to seeing more of this one as well … Not one often seen :+1:

Put a base of flat black from a rattle can on the chassis .

Hull rear is on and will get cracking on the upper hull hopefully tomorrow time permitting.

5 Likes

Primer down.

Also got a coat of anti-slip on the top surfaces. I completely missed this step and forgot it was even there until I was looking at some pics to figure out wires for the lights. As such, I couldn’t really mask properly. Still looks good though and adds to the visual.

3 Likes

Definitely looking the part now. Good move with the anti slip … Which now makes me ask … Do the LAV series have anti slip ? Namely my LAV AD ??

Standard LAV-25 does so I don’t see why the AD version should be any different.

1 Like

Thanks for that Don… I would of totally overlooked it if I hadn’t seen yours…
Is it the same for LAVIIIs … as I have one in a drawer …?

Yeah but the texture looks a lot finer and more widely distributed. Someone on here will probably chime in with a better answer, but the LAV III almost looks to have it incorporated in the paint rather than being applied in sections like the LAV I/25 platform

1 Like

Maybe one of these will suit the tastes of the campaigners.

Trumpeter2

Trumpeter4

Size on screen

4 Likes

I like the top one. But both look nice.

1 Like

Thanks again Don👍

1 Like

Nice designs Peter. I also like the top one, but will go with the flow on it :+1:

1 Like

Hmmm, kinda tough, I like the trumpet and the Trumpeter of the lower one better than just the trumpet of the upper one, but the triangle and VII just don’t look right. :wave: