Trumpeter T-80B intake snorkel adapter

Good morning everyone,

I use to visit the old Armorama site so I’m not really new around here, just this new site!

I am about to embark on this build now that my Leopard C1 is at the weathering stage and I have read that the Trumpeter T-80B is missing the intake snorkel adapter. I have searched the internet for pictures of this part but can’t find some nice ones.

Does anyone know if a AM company makes one? I know SP Designs have the T-80B early hull with the adapter and another of the deep wading kit (which I’m really tempted to order) but they don’t have the intake snorkel adapter separately.

Alternatively, is there a drawing of this part I could use to try and model it so it can be 3D-printed?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Chris

What about these views ?

https://lookw.ru/1/591/1402261124-oboi-1920h1080.-world-of-tanks-24.jpg

https://vpk-news.ru/sites/default/files/photographs/2012/04/09/IMG_7205.JPG

H.P.

1 Like

Thanks Frenchy, those are of a T-80U (or UD?) so are a bit different. I’ll keep them though as I have a T-80U (UD) in mind for later! :slight_smile:

Christian, I believe that the much reviled Dragon T-80 includes this; a glance at the Instructions sheets on Scalemates might clarify if we’re talking about the same thing:

T-80 MBT, Dragon 3506 (1990) (scalemates.com)

Thanks for this BootsDMS, I never thought to look at Scalemates! I used to own this kit… And yes, in step 8, parts A30, A31.

Funny thing is the pictures I got from Prime Portal shows a tank without it, and I can’t figure out if the attachment points are present or not.

I suppose it really comes down to how you wish to depict the model; personally, I always like to model my Soviet armour as “loaded for bear” (no pun intended) full kit, tarps, camouflage nets and the like. I do however recall that back in the day when we received pictures (in the HQ where I worked) taken by BRIXMIS operating in East Germany most showed the Schnorkel kit fitted, but then, the Group of Soviet Forces Germany was a very high readiness organization. I say “most” as some were a bit indistinct and one couldn’t always work out what was what, so I think you’ve a fair bit of latitude in whatever you decide.

1 Like

BootsDMS, I’m more and more contemplating adding the snorkel in the ready position… looks really cool!

Is this the assembly you’re referring to ?

photo courtesy of Doogs models

1 Like

Yep, exactly that! I guess it’s included in the T-80 BV?

Looks like it. One option may be to order that particular sprue if you can get the part number.

Seanmcandrews, is that even possible from Trumpy? Never heard of it, although I never had a need to in the past!

Here’s what came up with “ordering trumpeter model kit sprues” http://part.trumpeterkit.com/

I ordered the suspension sprue from their T-80B kit back in 2016 for my Skif T-80UD , at the time it was through Alibaba.

1 Like

Hmmm… this is getting interesting by the minute! lol…

Found out there seems to have two ways to stow the gear as per the pictures below:

and

Note: pictures are from T-80B - RecoMonkey and not mine.

From these two tanks:

and

Note: pictures are from T-80B - RecoMonkey and not mine.

I’ve seen them stored on the end of the snorkel as well.

1 Like

Like on these T-80Us

View 1

View 2

H.P.

This is the adapter for the exhaust, same idea, though.

1 Like

Frenchy, on the T-80U, the arrangement is different. The air filter adapter is on the turret rear and is lowered over the air filter when prepared for fording operation as opposed to the T-80B where the adapter is stored on the turret and must be deployed manually by the crew.

Here’s what came up with “ordering trumpeter model kit sprues” http://part.trumpeterkit.com/

I ordered the suspension sprue from their T-80B kit back in 2016 for my Skif T-80UD , at the time it was through Alibaba.

Yeah, I tried the link and it doesn’t work. I’ll keep on digging… but I might just go with the deployed fording equipment conversion from SP Designs. I still need to create the support though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!

I’ve just realized my previous posts were way off the mark regarding the device you were looking for…Should have read your request more carefully :roll_eyes:

H.P.

1 Like