Tupolev I-4 (ANT-5)

Recently completed the 1/72 scale Encore kit of the Tupolev I-4. Bumped into this on eBay while researching my Tupolev G-5 Torpedo Boat. Only paid $6 + $4 shipping. Therefore, I didn’t expect a world class kit but it was an odd looking bird so I thought “what the heck, go for it”. Not a lot of flash but fit of some parts was questionable as some location points were nonexistant. Not quite a POS but very close. LOL

Added an interior using spares box parts. Relaced the rocket wing tubes with brass tubing. Painted with AK Real Colors. Tail codes are decals but all the red stars were masked and airbrushed. Star masks were made on Silhouette Portrait 3. Bored out the kit solid wheels and replaced the centers with wire spoke photo etch from a supplier in Poland. Finished with a very light dusting of pastels for weathering.

4 Likes

Cool subject Gary and nice looking build! I’ll bet those back decals were fun :slight_smile: Nice pipes, prop, rigging, cockpit, landing gear, details and paint work. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Nice Job! I like your model, clean and pretty paint.

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Thanks HG! The decals took several applications of Solvaset and touch up paint on pin holes. Was glad I painted the stars and discarded the decals. LOL

1 Like

Thanks Cap.Sky! I really like AK Real Color paints.

1 Like