Type 94 Japanese truck camo colors?

Hi , any clue about another camo color for this truck, instead of the brown common one?
If exist, any paint references?

TIA

Alvaro

1 Like

Hi Alvaro,
Japanese softskins were not camouflaged, and they were all painted the same color. The vehicles took a lot of abuse in the PTO climate though, and Japanese paint was notorious for peeling, so you can do a lot with the base color.

I have seen a photo of a type 94 truck in the Aleutians that was painted in camouflage but cannot locate it now. Maybe someone else knows where it is. I found it while searching for images of the type 95 Ha Go that was captured on Attu.

1 Like

Matthew, Russell thanks for the data.

Regards

Alvaro

1 Like

You can also get away with painting it Karekusa-Iro, the parched grass color.

Thanks Matthew

This is the best I can find so far the one from Aleutians is visible in Life cover.

2 Likes

Wow! These photos are a great find. First IJA camo softskins I have ever seen, and I have done a lot of research into IJA vehicles. The first photo looks like overall Cha-Iro (Tea Brown) (also dubbed Japanese Artillery Brown by US Ordinance Intelligence) with Karekusa-Iro (Parched Grass) disruptive stripes. The second photo looks like a base Karekusa-Iro (Parched Grass) with Tochi-Iro (Dark Earth Brown) disruptive color.
Two excellent references to decipher all this are Japanese Armor 1931-1945 Camouflage And Markings by AJ Press; and Japanese Armor Colors: A Primer 1937-1945 by Nick Millman.
There is a new paint set out that is just outstanding. It is the Hataka Orange Line (lacquer) 8 color set WW2 Imperial Japanese Army AFV Paint Set #HTK-CS69. The paints are ready to shoot out of the bottle and perform flawlessly. The set covers any IJA application you could come across.

Another variation from regulations that I found recently:
The Type 4 Ho-Ro at the American Heritage Museum has an impeccable provenance and is in original condition as captured. It is brush painted in overall Karekusa-Iro (Parched Grass) with no primer beneath it. The Japanese only built 12 of these late in the war. I wish I had known this a year ago, as I completed a Type 4 in late war 3 tone camo.

1 Like

Just means you need to build another.

1 Like

Yeah, right?

Another view of a Type 94 with camo (from this Tweeter account )

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et9DtPSXEAQ50qq?format=jpg&name=medium

H.P.

Thanks Frenchy!

1 Like

This Unit was captured in Luzon.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yep that’s the same one that’s at the American Heritage Museum now. it is the only one in existence. Great photos.

1 Like