Type VIIc and IXc U-Boats 1/700

Waaaaaaaay back in 1975, Hasegawa released this pair of German U-Boats in 1/700 scale. At the time there was no photoetch available, so I did them the hard way and fabricated all those railings from wire. They came out all right, but boy was it a lot of work! I picked up another pair a bit later, and they have sat in my stash untouched since.

Recently, casting about for a quick project, I took the kit out and assembled both subs in an afternoon. Adding photoetch brass rails from the Tom’s Modelworks 1/700 Axis Subs set and 20mm singles from the White Ensign KM Anti-Aircraft set only took another Saturday. Photoetch has made life so much easier!

With the addition of simple brass wire periscopes, they are ready for paint!

7 Likes

I’ll be sending out a hunter - killer team to deep six these distractions in order that you might return to the Hatsuzuki ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Tim, Very well done! looking forward to seeing them painted up.
Cheers,

1 Like

Grauwolf [Patron] (Kitmaker network patrons - KitMaker Network)
Tim, Very well done! looking forward to seeing them painted up.
Cheers,

Thanks Joe!

I’ll paint them one day, but I’d like to return to Hatsuzuki, so I guess it won’t be for a while. I really like those etch parts, though.

For now, here are a few pictures of the same kits I completed with wire details back in the 1970s:

2 Likes

Tim,
Considering the scale, you have done an excellent job on those kits!
Cheers,

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
:smiley: