U-Boat U-83

After my experience with ITALERI MAS 500 published here,
I have retry in 1/35 naval modelling with BORDER MODEL U-BOOT VII and now I may show synthetically my work .
IMG_5926a

First of all I reduced lenght of model, truncating in front and behind, in order to have smaller size.
IMG_5927a

Then, after coloring the deck, I have approached sea with usual process, foam sheet, play dough and alluminium foil all over to simulate rough sea
IMG_5963

Payne Grey oil painting and synthetic fibers from kitchen filter hood to simulate waves
IMG_5966a

IMG_5993a

Gun mountig is a simple job, a model in the model
IMG_6016

Also the conning tower doesn’t present difficulties, I used artillery handwheels, instead of the flat PE of kit, for the hatches
IMG_6035a

BUT…
here I found the big flaw of the kit…the top protection from waves is resolved with a continuos inverted U instead of curve protection or spaced protection.
In order to exemplify:

IMG_6024a
Curved protection at the top

IMG_6022a
Spaced protection at the top

So I acquired an after market spaced protection and after some erase work I modified the top of conning tower.
IMG_6019

Then I choose my ‘MITTELMEER U-BOOT’, exactly U-83, not a succesfull boat but with an interesting camouflage feature and moreover a U-BOOT VII B with the same sail

IMG_6071a

Weathering, shadow, saltiness, rust all over and market decals
IMG_6094

The whole package to complete the tower
IMG_6088

With the crew
IMG_6111

In order to complete I simulate the wiring, cutting it off in lenght because bow and stern there aren’t to link

See you on the next episode fo the complete photo shoot…

15 Likes

Great build. Looks very good and the way you did the sea works really well…:+1:

4 Likes

Awesome work - I look forward to the complete photo shoot!

1 Like

Great job. Interesting way to personalize the kit. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot and… some more photos

A01

A02

A03

I am very satisfied for this second incursion in naval modelling
( really this is a third one because I have also an italian ‘Maiale’, torpedo manned, at Alexandria 1941 ), usually 1/35 is my scale for tank but I enjoied to work with my Mediterranean sea as well as to have summer bathing, :smile:bye.

10 Likes

Absolutely beautiful, and I concur with your decision to shorten the length of the hull too - it makes for a tighter, more dramatic scene. Well done, sir! :grin: :+1:

1 Like

grazie Tim :hugs:

Very well done. A really powerful and dynamic scene of life in a rough sea state… :+1:

3 Likes