Lately I started this well known Russian built SA system in the form of the Meng kit. The build was a treat except for the launching platform final assembly. The missiles ramps definitely do not want to lay on their supports in the travel mode. So I’m compelled to represent the vehicle in the firing mode with all the risks during future handling.
I haven’t taken pictures during the assembly.
Meng offers 3 decoration options: Russian 3 tone camo, Finnish 4 tone camo and Ukrainian pixel camo.
For some reason I wanted to represent a Ukrainian vehicle. The pixel camo has been a pain to mask. You have to eyeball the various shapes from the color plate provided by Meng. I’m sure I made some mistakes but the result looks pretty fine. Fortunately it seems that this camo differs from a vehicle to another.
Currently the base paint is on. I still need to fix some flaws here and there and paint the various details.
The vehicle base coat is XF-67 Nato Green. The pixel are painted XF-60 Dark Yellow, XF-9 Hull Red ans XF-69 NATO Black.
I painted the missiles as operational ones. For the Ukrainian version Meng ask you to paint them white as during the 25th Ukraine Independence Day parade.
The missile body is XF-67 + yellow, the nose is XF-2 white, the ring is X-11 Chrome silver. The fins will be painted light grey. I have to find a good match in my stash.
The weathering will be kept minimal. I don’t intend to depict a battle-worn vehicle.
Here are some pictures.
Very nice work Olivier. The Digi cam looks really good. Doesn’t look to overpowering and the colours have come out well over the different contours of the body. Nice build
Not sure I like the camo but a cracking build.
Thanks guys. Today I painted the rare details and sprayed a coat of gloss varnish. Tomorrow I’ll apply the decals to the vehicle and the numerous stencils to the missiles.
Something really out of the ordinary … very nice!
Looks GREAT! Masking must have been very tedious. I have seen the diecut masks for Ukrainian SU-27/30’s & that would have my eyes worse than they already are! I really appreciate it when modelers challenge themselves, almost always results in something wonderful. Keep up the good work.
That’s the least I can say about it
I have started the weathering. As mentioned above it will be minimal. I have applied a brown wash al over the vehicle then a pinwash to enhance the details. The running gear has already been dusted with various shades of pigments.
Unfortunately just after the photo session the axes of the platform jack broke. So I had to glue the ramps in the raised position and not keep it mobile which would have been far easier to travel.
The weathering is nearly complete. I’ll probably spray a light coat of earth/dust on the sides of the vehicle.
Excellent work … Really nice
Up to your usual high standard of work Olivier. Looks fantastic
Thank you all for the comments. The build is now complete and I have posted to my site a full build article with more pictures.
Love the macro pics on the website page. It really emphasises how well the digital was done over the parts that were not flat. Sensational stuff.
A fantastic piece Olivier- certainly up to your usual very high standard. The color scheme is very eye catching.