Ural 4320 Trucks - foreign user options

I’m currently working on a Ural APA 5D (the airfield starter/generator truck). The kit comes with Russian options but I always prefer to finish my models in markings that are different from the kit choices. So far I’ve found Polish, Hungarian and possibly Bulgarian options but is the APA used anywhere further afield? Vietnam seems a likely option but that’s just a guess on my part. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2 Likes

East Germany / GDR

In Vietnam (at least that is what the photo claims …)

Ukraine, the decals sheet for a 1/72 kit from Armory in Ukraine has markings for Mirgorod airbase in Ukraine

1 Like

Like this one. Just add the East German NVA (Nationale Volksarmee) insignia and paint it in your choice of Russian Protective Green.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, because I’m updating the truck with some later production features, the timeframe for my model is after the DDR ceased to exist. (It’s also a Ural 375 in the photo, which is an even earlier variant than what the kit represents).

1 Like

Ukrainian is a definite option but I’m unsure how recent their fleet is - not sure it would include the more recent production batches from the 4320 range. The yellow option appeals though :grin:

1 Like

That Vietnamese option also appeals with white wall tyres!

1 Like

Well, the only reason I posted the picture is because of the markings, not necessarily the model vehicle. If you’re doing the modernized version, then just go either Ukrainian or Russian. I might even go as far as Polish, because they still have MiG-29s in their fleet, along with the F-16s and F-35s.

UKRAINE

POLAND

RUSSIA

1 Like

Civilian option ?

H.P.

4 Likes

Pristine Polish Air Force one

Not so pristine Syrian one…

H.P.

4 Likes

German NVA used RAL 6003 Olivgrün or TGL 2425 in their terms.

2 Likes

Thanks HP. The civvy options do appeal. I have images of both yellow and orange options but I hadn’t seen the blue one before.

The pristine Polish option appeals, as does the not-so-pristine Syrian vehicle.

The difficulty for me is that I have been modifying the kit from an early 4320 series (ideal for most of the photo options posted in this thread) to a later production version with different air filter, wing mirrors, rear light clusters and potentially a different rear bumper arrangement. I think that will probably restrict me to a Russian option because I’ve not seen the configuration elsewhere, unless I abandon some of the upgrades I want to add to the model :frowning:

Recent production example

1 Like

Do you necessarily have to prove the existence of a vehicle with that exact configuration or could your conscience live with the assumption that one such vehicle existed?
If the other military branches have upgraded their vehicle fleets could it then be possible that their air force have also replaced some of their chassis? Swapped the mission specific parts over to a new chassis?

1 Like

H.P.

1 Like

Do I have to? no, of course not. However, that is my preference.

The APA-5D has been in service for years and many of the earlier vehicles still soldier on in military and civilian service. That’s why there are so many images of them around. The more recent the production configuration is much less common and therefore restricts my options - not least because I suspect a lot of the existing users would be unable/unwilling to purchase new Russian equipment in the present global environment.

It’s a slippery slope - the more detail changes I make to the model, the more I am tempted to push those changes even further, thus painting myself into a corner :slight_smile:

In fact, I’ve just spotted another feature that I need to change…

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :wink:

A mans corner is his castle and no-one shall ever tell him otherwise
or something :grin:

2 Likes

This is not a Ural 4320 but a Ural 375 (different cooler mask)

1 Like