US Tug Clarktor 6 Mill-44, Heaviest Duty Airfield Tractor - Dual Rear Wheels | AeroScale

KoSprueOne has sent Aeroscale a box review of Thunder Model's 1/32 scale tractor kit with dual rear wheels.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://aeroscale.net/list/us-tug-clarktor-6-mill-44-heaviest-duty-airfield-tractor---dual-rear-wheels-1-32
3 Likes

Looks like a good tractor can be built from this. I wonder if they avoided the tire logos for copyright reasons? I foresee resin or 3D replacements in the future.

2 Likes

I think so. Most likely

1 Like

This model reminds me of an episode from my freightdog days. We were yonder from Wright-Patterson and the Air Force Museum. There was a small group of airfield denizens that I recall called themselves the Daedalus Society, and they decided that our aerodrome should be the home of a national rotor-wing museum. They said it would be bigger and better than the Air Force Museum! They came barging into the office one day with a coffee can for collections, with some piece of notebook paper taped to it with like crayon drawings of a gyroplane and helicopter and a solicitation something like “donate or screw you”, or something like that. They were overbearing and obnoxious and not the most liked group on the airport, and so a couple of the pilots and ground crew decided to have a little bit of fun. One of the pilots had a background in art and quickly a competing coffee can was placed next to their collect can, asking for a donations for the “Tug and Tow Bar Museum.” We had a really ratty clapped out tug that I recall somebody had nicknamed “The Green Acres Tractor”, and a likeness of it featured prominently as some fairly high quality artwork for the Tug and Tow Bar bar Museum collection can. The next time the Daedalus people came in to check the donation status, they found a few pennies, maybe a soda can pop top, some electrical box slugs, maybe some string and sealing wax and other fancy stuff… The T.&T.B.M. can was “overflowing” with currency, thanks to a lot of cut up newspaper stuffings that filled up the can except for the very top that showed the dollars. They took their pennies and pop tops and stormed out of the lobby. Never to return.

It’s been about 4 decades since that happens but I’m trying to tell it as accurately as I recall it. With that said, I’m tempted to buy one of these tugs just to create the glory of what the Tug and Tow Bar Museum could have been.

2 Likes

LOL, funny story.

1 Like

Being a fan of 1/32nd scale aircraft, this opens up alot of possibilities. Didnt the navy also use these on carriers?

2 Likes

I guess this one is an earlier version of the Clarktor 6 (single rear wheels)…

USS Wasp (CV-7), North Atlantic, February 1942

H.P.

3 Likes

:bulb: Indeed it does. Conversion into an On30 Loco perhaps? :star_struck: