USMC LAV-25 Information

Hi People
Lav-25 information that people think should be here

3 Likes

You looking to do just the gun version or are the other types (recovery, command, air defense etc) ok too?

Hopefully it will be all variants of the LAV, like he has started with the Bradley thread. They will be great sources of info & reference for everyone.

1 Like

Love the LAV-25, something about living in the back of one for 6 months or so will do that I guess!

Ok other U.S. types as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Hopefully it will be all variants of the LAV, like he has started with the Bradley thread. They will be great sources of info & reference for everyone.”

All good

1 Like

Either of those figures and the M240 would look seriously good on one of those kits.

Some stowage

1 Like

From General Dynamics Land Systems and AUSA 2020, used with permission for editorial and personal use as long as the photos are original and not altered and combined with anything else.

1 Like

One thing about those SLEP muffler covers - in '03 my unit had a bunch of vehicles that had gone through SLEP and those covers were nowhere in sight, the mechs said that they were removed because they were found to be a problem (either caused overheating or vehicle fires, I don’t recall exactly which). So it is possible to see a vehicle with the SLEP features and the original muffler arrangement.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, all these pictures of kits and AM accessories are great, but in my opinion the post is not really that informative w/out descriptions of the different LAV types, when they were used, changes made to them over time, etc. More of a history of the vehicle and/or history/review of the listed kits would be more useful in my opinion. I am no LAV expert, so I can’t offer much on them. Others are, as the above post shows. To me, it is really the only useful post so far.

1 Like

USMC LAV-25s given to the US Army’s 82nd Airborne for “Enhancement firepower support.” This one just got LAPES out of the back of a cargo plane.

1 Like

Instead of changing the title, I was hoping those who have the info and knowledge could add the background on the LAV and on the kits available to build the different versions of it. We shall see.

I’m willing to share whatever info would be helpful, not an expert by any means but I do have a bunch of pictures

1 Like

John,
I guess that spending some months in the back of one of these makes you more an expert than some armchair or library experts :wink:

Olivier

2 Likes

Well Oliver,
If nothing else I do know the most comfortable position to try to sleep in in one - and comfortable is a term used very loosely! :laughing:

2 Likes

Here are LAV-25A2 rear interior photos I took from Fleet Week several years back. If you look closely at the rear door, you can see the applique armor thickness over the original skin that up-armors from 7.62mm ball to 14.5mm AP protection for the A2 version.

Note that these are two different LAV-25s, as seen from the camouflage pattern and the USMC stenciling (and the red handsaw is upside down inside one).

1 Like

Here’s a link to our US LAV Index at Warwheels.net. WarWheels.Net- US Light Armored Vehicle (LAV) Index.

It should be a decent start to the vehicles

1 Like

Wow. Just wow, the scout compartment was snug to begin with. By the looks of it, in the -25A2 it’s getting close to claustrophobic. They’ll still claim the capacity is 6 dismounts, too I bet. And they got rid of the magazine racks, I mean um ammunition stowage that used to be across from the scout seats. Where’s Doc supposed to keep his smut, er, ah I meant anatomy texts, yeah anatomy texts? This used to be a “fun” vehicle to go to war in (relatively, hey it sure beat walking)!

1 Like