USS Enterprise (CV6) Questions

Being more used to tackling military (land based) subjects, I have a limited knowledge of ship modelling, so I would appreciate any advice on the World War 2-era USS Enterprise (CV-6).
I have recently acquired Revell’s 1/1200-scale kit of this ship. Not surprisingly, this is a very simplified kit, but I can scratch-build certain details to achieve a more realistic appearance. My problem is with the appropriate paint scheme and markings. From what I understand, Measure 21 included the following colours: Vertical Surfaces, 5-N Navy Blue; Horizontal Surfaces, 20-B Deck Blue; Flight Deck, Flight Deck Stain 21 (same as 20-B Deck Blue); Hangar Deck, 20 Standard Deck Grey. Are there any equivalent Humbrol/Revell enamels to match these colours? If not, any mixes to achieve the desired shades?
The flight deck number ‘6’ is shown as yellow in the kit. I was under the impression that this would have been black, or painted out completely.
Finally, how many arrestor cables were fitted, and where exactly were these located along the length of the deck?

Lots of questions, but hopefully someone will have the answers to some of these. The references I have found so far are either confusing or simply contradictory.

Thanks,

Paul

Wow, Paul, for an armor guy you have the Big E’s colors dead right!

One thing to consider - the wood flight deck was indeed Flight Deck Stain 21 (a dark blue stain), but over time the deck weathered down to a muddy brown color as in the photographs above.

I did Revell’s little Enterprise a while back - nice little kit. I used the USN colors from the WEM Colourcoats line - not sure if these are still available…?

1 Like

Tim,
Thanks for that info … at least I got the basic colour scheme correct.
Was I right in thinking that the flight deck number would have been black rather than yellow?
Your side view of the model doesn’t show this.

Paul

1 Like

Right, the number was (faded) black:

1 Like

Tim,

As I thought … thanks.

Paul

1 Like

Tim,
As I mentioned earlier, my main interest is armour modelling (from WWI to the present day). However, I
thought you may like to see something that I completed a few months ago … an exercise in ‘forced perspective’, incorporating a 1/72-scale A6m Zero and a 1/2000-scale USS New Jersey.

Paul

1 Like

Paul,

That’s really cool (although unless the pilot corrects, he’s gonna miss astern…)!

:hushed:

1 Like

Tim,

Well spotted! Under the influence of the sake, no doubt.

Paul

1 Like