Thanks so much Tim. You’re correct about the amount of scratch building. Almost everything from the main deck up has to be scratch built.
But full disclosure on the speed of the build. I actually started this project on July 1st and only began posting the photos in mid October, so I had made quite a bit of progress on the actual build well ahead of the posting of the photos.
So with the understanding that a new site was coming I delayed starting the postings until it was up and running. The photos posted so far represent about 1 month’s worth of work. My plan is to post them in batches so none of the posts is too long. I sort of just got carried away with the work, and just took a long time to starting the post!
So to sort of start to “catch up” here’s another batch.
This next group of shots were taken on August 9, and are sort of a “mid-term” review for me to get a rough sense of how the build looks. All of the main components are still sub-assemblies and so are not yet glued to the hull.
You’ll notice that I’ve started adding some of the PE. That’s always the difficult part, deciding just when to add smaller details to the sub-assemblies. If you add it too early that can make masking for painting really hard. And if you wait until all the sub-assemblies are added to the hull, now you’re having to handle the entire model to add small details.
Sure would be nice if there were directions on the sequence included with the instructions!!!
Also notice that I realized that there was additional structure at the aft end of the pilot house which I’ve added. And the result is that the “flag bag” had to be relocated to the side of the deck and the compass is no longer outside. I decided to salvage the gray “pulpit” which I discovered in some photos.