USS Wasp LHD 1 diorama | Model Shipwrights

Lou Carabott presents his USS Wasp LHD 1 diorama, absolutely stunning work. The Wasp (LHD 1) is the lead ship of its own class of amphibious assault ships and the tenth ship in the U.S. Navy to bear that name. The contract to build her was awarded to Ingalls Shipbuilding division of Litton in Pascagoula, Mississippi, on February 28, 1984, and her keel was laid down on May 30, 1985. The ship was launched for the first time on August 4, 1987.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://modelshipwrights.com/news/uss-wasp-lhd-1-diorama
10 Likes

That looks remarkably realistic! The use of different shades of colors, weathering, and the lighting really add to the illusion of a real ship sailing at sea. Awesome job!

One thing I didn’t know was that the Wasp has two 20mm Phalanx CIWS, Sea Sparrow, and RAM at the stern. I know it has Sea Sparrow, but I didn’t know it has twin CIWS.

What a beauty. Amazing detail and finish. I have a model of the Wasp in 1/350 scale and hope that when I get to it, I could achieve at least a quarter of what you have done here.

Really, really beautiful.

JFG.

Amazing work. I’m a plankowner of the Wasp, I’d love to have a model like this in my collection! :slight_smile:

1 Like

salutes

TYFYS.