Vallejo Airbrush Thinner with Model Master Acrylics

Well today I tried out a couple mix tests of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner with a couple of Acrylic brands that DO NOT work with Mr Leveling Thinner.

first up I tried Model Master Acrylic. Good results. No clumping, gumming up, or any other such mishaps.

I then tried the red headed step child of my acrylic paints, Humbrol Acrylics. Again Good Results. No clumping, gumming up, or other mishaps. There was a bit of grittiness that separated from the paint, but I also had that result with Model Master Universal Acrylic Thinner, and that combo airbrushed reasonably well.

I’ll try actually airbrushing the paints in the next few days and post those results here once I have finished that experiment…

5 Likes

I’ve had good results using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner with Model Master Acrylics.

2 Likes

Thanks for that feedback Paska. Do you add retarder, flow improver, or anything else to the pair, or just shoot only the MMA and Vallejo Thinner?

1 Like

This may be of interest, literally One Thinner To Rule Them All, the standard Mr. Color Thinner: Southern Scale Modeling: The One Thinner That Works With Most Paints For Airbrushing

Not the Leveling thinner, the other one.

Works with many acrylics.

3 Likes

I use retarder and flow improver depending on the temperature. I haven’t shot much, as I only recently started using it and when I did I shot it straight up without any additions. Too cold to spray here in the winter, as the garage is my spray room with the door open.

1 Like

@Armor_Buff, Wade, I’ll keep that stuff in mind if the Vallejo stuff fails in the airbrush, or runs out.

@paska, I airbrush in my garage as well. Got an AC split unit in there to heat it in winter and cool it in summer so I’m covered for all seasons. :grin:

2 Likes

A nice timely video for folks. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Today I did the airbrushing test of Vallejo with Model Master Acrylic Concrete, Polly Scale Old Concrete, and Humbrol Hemp(left to right)

Model Master Acrylic worked great at about a 1:1 ratio

Polly Scale had a few heavy bits come out, but otherwise was good. It’s an older bottle of mine, so it could be the age of the paint.

Humbrol I gave a slightly higher ratio of thinner to paint, roughly 4:3, and it came out beautifully with zero problems.

5 Likes

I have been using propriety thinners for my paints with no adverse reaction, Mr. color with Mr. thinner, Tamiya acrylic paint with their acrylic thinner and lacquer thinner. Recently purchased Vallejo AK 3rd generation acrylic paint and acrylic thinner (AK11500) very pleased with my results. no paint tape lift etc. your tests are interesting which paint did not do well with Mr. thinner? thank you.

1 Like

Humbrol. Mr Leveling Thinner turned Humbrol into a gel. I haven’t tried MLT with Model Master or Polly Scale Acrylics, as I’ve read that similar results happen with those.

2 Likes

MLT with Mr. Color is my go to :grinning: Gunze marketing is strange, Mr. color this and that…goofy, at least their not on the proper pronoun lunacy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: too bad Model Master ist kaput, they still make Testors, now owned by Rustoleum. they dumped floquil etc.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, David!

Mr Color Leveling Thinner definitely rocks!
It’s my favorite thinner for shooting Floquil Military Colors.

2 Likes

I TYPICALLY thin with distilled water with my various acrylics…especially the cheap stuff when I want a different texture. I have the Vallejo thinner…just don’t really need to use it much.

am I the only one who uses DW?

1 Like

I use thinners for Airbrushing, and Tap water for acrylic washes and paints. Do ‘t think tap water is an issue

1 Like

I use DW also

2 Likes

Tap water being an issue all depends upon where you live. Here in AZ we have extremely hard water, so a water softener is a must if you want your plumbing fixtures to last. But even then it tends to give funky results when thinning acrylics. I use distilled water for some of my thinning with acrylics such as Humbrol.

4 Likes

Always use distilled water when thinning paints, especially for the airbrush. Even the best tap water still contains chlorine, fluoride, minerals, lime, iron, and other deposits that are not harmful to humans. They can, however, be deposited inside your airbrush and slowly decay it. These deposits also effect the pigments and binders in the paint. So, spend the dollar and buy a gallon of distilled water for thinning.

3 Likes

FWIW - sometimes depending on specifics, hard water doesn’t seem to play nice with applying decals in my experience. At previous residence learned that the hardway. Switched to bottled water for decals and didn’t have repeated issues of water spots etc. Pretty sure that tap water would have been less than ideal for thinning.

3 Likes

I agree, but that is what Humbrol recommends on their video for thinning their acrylics… use tap water… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

that is different. like anything else I always test spray before hitting the model. what works works lol!

1 Like