Varnish and chipping fluid

Hi there, first time posting here!

I was wondering if anyone knows if adding gloss/satin varnish to acrylic paint will prevent it being chipped by chipping fluid? I want to achieve a satin result without varnishing after the chipping and therefore losing the reflective difference of the chips.

Any insight is welcome!

Iā€™m eager to hear what you find out. I usually thin the top coat with water (rather than lacquer) to make it easier to chipā€¦

@thegmole
Hello and welcome.

As the more knowledgeable folks havenā€™t replied yet, I thought Iā€™d throw in my basic experience.
The short answer to your question is ā€œNoā€, adding an acrylic varnish (gloss/satin) to your paint will not prevent it from chipping though it may make it more difficult to chip. Adding a lacquer/enamel varnish will give you a goopy mess.
At the risk of ā€œteaching grandma to suck eggsā€, chipping fluid doesnā€™t actually ā€œchipā€ anything. It forms a barrier that prevents your surface/presentation color from adhering to your base (chip) color. The application of water to your topcoat dissolves/liquifies the intermediate chipping fluid layer and allows the topcoat to flake off giving you a chipped finish. phil2015ā€™s practice of thinning his topcoat allows the water to reach the chipping fluid layer more readily and the results are more gently controllable. I donā€™t expect that you want to sit around waiting for the mail but I found Michael Rinaldiā€™s SM.03, Sazabi Custom (Rinaldi Studio Press) is pretty close to a Master Class on the technique - highly recommended.

If you could provide more information on what youā€™re building and the look youā€™re aiming for, there are a lot of talented and experience modellers on the forum who are usually happy to help where they can. Iā€™m interested in the answer to the contrasting chip finish question myself.

Cheers,
Colin

1 Like

I am currently working on a King Tiger, and the references I have been collecting from Bovington are quite satin in finish I feel. I know the size of the tank and the light sources there lend to this look, but I feel, personally, that it is a nice finish to start with, and then build the more matte weathering over that.

The reason I am trying to not gloss coat the whole model after the chipping is that it I will loose the reflection breakup the chips give on edges

Iā€™m trying to find a work around haha :smile: My thought was to add satin or gloss varnish to the paint layer that was going to be chipped off, so that I might not have to coat the whole model. But it may be that I donā€™t really have an option. Also, probably thinking too much into this :smiley:

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried this yet but think I will give it a shot, you think it extends the amount of time the chipping fluid can be activated after the fact?

I will look into Michael Rinaldiā€™s SM.03, Sazabi Custom and see what I find, thank you

Havenā€™t tried myself either but theory is exactly as Colin describes. The chipping fluid should go away with anything you put on top, including varnish or notā€¦

As usual, before ruining your model, make a test on a hidden area/older kit.

Ok great, Iā€™ll give it a shot on a test mule and see the results
Thank you all!

I should be the last to reply. All my chipping tends to be too large a chip.

The way I see it is if your top coat is acrylic and the clear coat is acrylic wouldnā€™t they both chip away leaving the ā€˜dull/mattā€™ bottom layer visible. Albeit a bit more work chipping away both the top layer as well as the clear coat?

If I understood correctly, he intends to mix varnish and paint to give a single coat.

This essentially, that when I chip down to the matte underlayer, the reflectance differance doesnt get covered by a gloss or satin coat after chipping