Verlinden 120mm Stinger Operator

Morning All. I thought I needed a challenge. After perusing the stash, I settled on this fella. Plenty of parts, fairly unique, I think I’ve only ever seen one other completed before and containing my old nemesis- photoetch!

The build was actually fairly straightforward, only the arms and left hand needing some manipulation and filling to get right. The photoetch, I managed to mess up the brackets for the IFF antenna and had to make new ones from scrap styrene.

The M16A2 and M9 bayonet are Tamiya items.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take any photos of the painting process so, here’s the finished item. Hope you like it.

Finally managed to get the goggles looking halfway decent as well.

I enjoyed doing this one and it’s gone a long way towards getting the old mojo back.
G.

15 Likes

Oh yes, the glory days of Verlinden Productions, and the talented sculptor Julian Hullis. I liked this figure when I first saw it, back in the 90s I think… and had to have it. Building and painting the figure was a great experience for me.

I like the work you did on the uniform, chocholate chip pattern is not an easy one. I also like a slightly different tones of the ALICE stuff, and the goggles look very convincing. Well done!

Mario

1 Like

Another smashing piece Lazarus- a fairly complex one too with the PE and the mounting of the Stinger. But you’ve pulled it together beautifully- as @Maki said your rendition of the choc-chip camo is spot on and it compliments the green areas of kit nicely. I must agree with you about the goggles too- they look great- how did you go about doing them?

2 Likes

Another classic addition mate. Magnificently built and painted. The choc chip looks superb and the webbing with the tonal variations looks spot on. Great work :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Looks awesome G. Love the weathering on the 782 gear.

Only two things stuck out to me from what I recall, the sling adjustment buckle, I recall them being brass and painted over with a sharpie or black metal. The other thing and maybe not coming across in the photo, the M16 hand guards were shiny/glossy looking plastic.

2 Likes

you’ve done a fantastic job on that kit, do you have the M249 or M203 figures that they also did?

my only issue is that the water bottle and entrenching tool are hanging a little low as their attachment clips are at the mid points on each of the items and not at their respective tops.

2 Likes

Your not wrong about it hanging low (unless there is a system I don’t recall, a ricky recon type will be by to set me straight) but you didn’t get to select level as the clips go over the whole belt and are slid close.

Not sure what the holes are for except to have you fail inspection cause the brass was showing and now you killed the whole company or too much and you got black ink on the belt. No win situation.

3 Likes

The holes are leftovers from the WWII era wire-type connectors on .45 holsters and canteen covers.

3 Likes

Another crisp paint job, G! These older Verlinden kits are now classic, good to see you keeping it alive. The camo pattern, flesh work, all of it, beauty! Very well done, Buddy!

Note: For the rivet, button, and bolt counters out there: When it comes to SOB, straight out of the box, without any “intended” modifications, not every piece is going to be text book accurate, that was the sculptor’s job. I hear this all the time and though the individual may be correct in his comments, minute details no longer become important when the artist is just wanting to paint a figure and enjoy the process. Just sayin.

3 Likes

Beautiful job as usual Lazarus! Great job on everything from the uniform to the weapons and the flesh tones. Another classic

1 Like

I get that. I mentioned it cause this artist seems to like getting the details right based on his previous work. Granted not every project has to be done to the same level. Any artist is fine to leave as it is and correct on the next project if they want to like he did with the googles. Also I am pretty sure the items mentioned are separate and not molded in making fixing challenging, might be a little more difficult now depending on how attached.

1 Like

Thanks lads, always appreciate the comments, whether praise or constructive criticism.
Ryan, David, thanks for the pointers re: the water bottle and the sling clip. I have to admit here that I did think that the canteen was fastened a la WW2. That’s the beauty of this site, now I know better for the next one :+1:.
Mario, yep, Julian Hullis. Funny how it’s possible to recognise someone’s work. Do you know if he’s still in the game, so to speak? Strangely enough, I was thinking about your version of this figure when I started it. Still the one to beat mate!
Ski, you’re right about sometimes just wanting to enjoy painting a figure. I do welcome input from people ‘in the know’ though. Normally, I’d ask for input during the course of the thread but, I just got a bit carried away with this one :grin:. Now, I’m blaming you for my next project. You got me interested in Napoleonics! Watch this space, mate!
Karl, the goggles. Now normally, all I’d do is paint the lense a dark colour and give it a coat of gloss. Thought I’d try something different here. I painted the camo pattern on the lense and mixed up a bit of AK Puddles with a tiny bit of Vallejo Smoke. Laid the helmet in a bit of blue tac so it was horizontal and just dropped the mix on to the lense. Gravity pulled the smoke to the edges and gave a shadow effect but, still made the lense transparent. It actually looks better than it does on the photos.
So, all in all, I really enjoyed this one and have learned some things for the next one. Now, what’s it going to be…?

And that’s only a few of the Verlinden figures in the stash. Still carrying the torch for them!
G.

6 Likes

sorry if i sounded like a rivet counter, i didn’t mean to sound like one.

do you have the guy with the desert storm infantryman with M203? you don’t see that one much these days.

1 Like

Always open to constructive criticism, David. We never learn anything otherwise.
I don’t have the M203 gunner. I am thinking of getting it though. I can envisage a vignette with the Dragon gunner. One for another day though, got enough on my plate at the moment😳.
G.

3 Likes

My apologies, Klaus and Ryan, it was only a friendly reminder that sometimes we run with what we got.

G, like I mentioned before, you go full color bloom, I’ll return to Olive Drab, HA! Looks like you’ve snagged these back when the goin was good. Ah, themz wuz the dayz.

2 Likes

Incredible! The dusting effects on the boots really blends the figure well.

I am truly impressed with your six-tone Desert BDU camouflage. The colors are “spot-on.”

2 Likes

@PolishBrigade12 no worries mate and no offence taken, building out of the box is fine with me.

1 Like

Might be still available, Ski - if you know where to look…….:wink:
G.

@Lazarus there are some still on ebay at sky high prices but there is a knock off of the SAW Gunner on aliexpress for about £15.00

1 Like

David, I’ve seen the ones on eBay at ridiculous prices. You’re best waiting and putting in a bid for the ones where people are selling off individual ones. I’ve had two of the Saw Gunner from there, one was a part-built mess but, the other one is perfect and cost me less than £14! If you don’t want to take risks, try this site: Verlinden - SN Models - Ecommerce - Ship Modeling
As far as I can tell, they used to be a Verlinden distributor and still have lots of stock left. No silly eBay prices either! I’ve had quite a few from there with no problems. Last time I looked, the Stinger Gunner was still available too.
G.