Vortex Paint mixers?

So I had a DC (AA battery powered) spinning mixer thing some time and chucked it for an AC powered paint shaker thing with the rubber band about five years ago. Dozens of of the wife’s hair ties later, I’m looking for something new to shake rattle and roll paint.

The current shaker thing is noisy, walks off the bench and across the floor, but it works, kinda’

I originally saw a Vortex mixer a few years ago, but they were stupid expensive back then. Recently I’ve seen AC powered units for as little as $40US on the rapacious online retailer’s web site. I think I paid about that much for my noisy rubber banded floor walker….

I did a search, didn’t see anything recommendation-wise, so I’ll ask here:

Can anyone recommend a Vortex mixer that isn’t laboratory grade and won’t break the bank? My budget is $50US, give or take.

I have liked using this one so far.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0913J5TWS?ref_=pe_386300_442715950_DDT_E_DDE_dt_1

5 Likes

I use this one also. Works well,quiet, doesn’t “walk around” when in use.

2 Likes

@Tank_1812 @tthedanimal

That’s exactly the one I was considering. Square, of course.

Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Never knew about these. If I spend more money in 2022… or in 2023, it’s all Ryan’s fault! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

—mike

1 Like

Not all super heroes wear capes. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a cheap one like this:

And it works fine for me

2 Likes

Hi guys,
Really love the Vortex Mixer!:tornado: However, being the “repurposer” that is me, I found another use for this baby. I’m using it as a parts cleaner as well! … Place parts into a glass jar with a screw-on lid, add diluted dish soap, or Isopropyl alcohol, close lid and…

Voilà! :bubbles:
—mike

2 Likes

I just use one of the inexpensive battery powered “cocktail” mixers that you can buy from Amazon. Cheap enough that if I ever break it or it dies, I won’t feel bad about chucking it and getting another.

I used a Dremel metal cut-off wheel to grind the diameter of the agitator down a bit (maybe 1.5 mm off the total diameter) so that it will fit down into the Vallejo type paint bottles (the dropper lids just pop on and off). Takes about 20 seconds to mix one of those up, then a quick spin in a jar of water to clean off the mixer.

Course it also works in all screw-lid paint jars (Tamiya, etc.).

Cordless Mini Mixer

2 Likes

Hi Michel,
I actually gave one of those cocktail mixers a whirl and decided to eight-six the idea after a few tries. I suppose mileage may vary. :tornado:

—mike

1 Like

As you say, YMMV. The ones with the solid, wavy-ameoba shaped agitator also seem difficult to find right now.

Micro Mark / Badger Paint Mixer

(The Micro Mark mixer appears to be a “generic” copy of the Badger mixer. Amazon also sells the Badger one.)

Most of them now have some sort of coil spring whisk shaped agitators designed, I suppose, to “froth” milk or froo-froo coffee. Clearly, “frothing” your paint isn’t a particularly good idea.

I will add a bit of advice for anyone who might get one of these “stirring” (vice “shaking”) type mixers: Do not start it before sticking it into the paint nor lift the running mixer out of the paint. Stick it into the paint, turn it on, stop it, then lift it out.

You’ll only do it wrong once! LOL!

3 Likes

I’ve been using my vortex pretty often and I’ve discovered a couple things.

It works best with a light touch- in other words I don’t jam the paint bottle (or whatever) against the rubber agitator thing as hard as I can. I’ve noticed that mixing ball is louder with a light touch.

Also if I hold the bottles sideways against the mixer, it works better, but your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Sir, do not dare try to limit my stupidity….it know no bounds.

Hence why I haven’t gotten that type. :upside_down_face::crazy_face::joy:

2 Likes

i got something similar, very pleased with it

1 Like

Exactly the one I have . Works excellent, just gotta replace the batteries once in a while.

1 Like

used to mix vallejo bottle style paints. could use bigger bottle with cotton in it to do tamiya or mr. hobby.

4 Likes

I made a similar rig a while back (both single and twin-barrel), Unfortunately, while shaking the bottles really well it eventually cut through the tape. … Get ready for launch in… 5, 4, 3, 2, 1… :rocket:

—mike

2 Likes

good point, but I used a old metal blade that was ruined cutting fence posts. So total edge like the top side.

1 Like

New blade or old, the saw’s vibration will still cause it to cut through. If you really want this to work, you’ll need to fashion a very solid mount to the bottle. HTH.

—mike

1 Like

respectfully I have been using that same blade/bottle for three years. only just recently not on a power cord saw. So it was crazy faster. in fact it so violent that there is no way any aftermarket mixer could come close to how good it does. Now you might have an argument with causing to much air in the paint if you go crazy if you had ball bearings in the paint. But use common sense and use on low setting.

2 Likes