VW Beetle 1982 Berlin Brigade

I chat with the guy who wrote the Tankograd book and he has briefed me up :+1: I’m only using AK white :+1:

2 Likes

Lol …you can’t help yourself when you see that cam !!

1 Like

After a bit of crying, I got the base white coat down. Eventually :rofl:
I did one coat, then promptly dropped it, straight on its roof which then collected about 30,000 bits… So off with that roof coat and one front wing …then primed again and repainted lol…

Used AK flat white mixed 50/50 with the normal cellulose thinner and about 10 good drops of Tamiya retarder lacquer thinner.
Will give that at least 24 hours then decide on the grey and the masking areas…:+1:

3 Likes

I don’t use AK colors so I don’t know if this is necessary, but I always put one drop of blue in my white paint when shooting from an airbrush. It will keep it from yellowing in the future, as many paints have a tendency to do.

4 Likes

I really do love hearing all these little tips people use… It’s all good stuff.

I Tend to forget tips, most of the time, till I have finished :frowning:, but I tell everyone else

2 Likes

I was genuinely thinking of writing them all down, but then knowing me, I will forget where the notepad is, or forget the tip until after I needed it lol…
Got to get an early night as I’m on the range all day tomorrow…yay !!! Not lol

2 Likes

Will you be singing - “Home, Home on the…”

Yeah maybe not.

I’d just sprayed the Portland stone on the AT-A9 the other day, when a bug landed on it… and got stuck. Fortunately, right in the centre of a hatch panel so a bit of thinner on a rag and I was able to clean it up and re-spray.

Looking forward to seeing some colour down.

Quick update with where we are…

This is the only bit of the kit that has disappointed me up to now… Some parts of the chrome work, headlight surrounds for one.

They have done it so the sprue connects dead centre at the very top in plain sight.
Now, I have never used Chrome parts before so I don’t know if there’s a way car /auto builders cut off the Chrome parts, but to me there was no way to remove the part without damaging the chrome… It will be staying as it is sadly unless there is a way to get a bit of chrome effect back …I might of heard people mention a chrome pen ? Can’t remember…
Anyway, the chrome does look nice… And I need to do more silver layers on the from wing indicators.

4 Likes

This is looking great, really nice work so far!

There is a chrome pen called Molotow which is used a lot to touch up these spots on the parts. I also use Vallejo Metal Color Chrome dabbed on with a fine brush.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Thanks Damian, and glad you think its looking ok :+1:

I have a Molotow Chrome pen on order, the 2mm one.

2 Likes

The Molotow pens aren’t bad but you need to strip the whole headlight surround to get a consistent finish.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Well the Vdub is finished…

Berlin cam circa 1982.

So, the kit…and the idea…
The idea is firmly that of Andreas @AKirchhoff , who planted the seed when he showed the original picture to me. The rest is… , Well it’s here…
Kit was the Revell 1/24 VW Beetle and it was straight out the box. Went together really well, nice detailed engine which is sadly hidden, but you’ve all seen it in the above posts.
Rob @18bravo had the nice idea of the magazine’s and along with Peters @petbat The Times, I added a few of my own to give it some interest on the inside.
Paints were a mixture of Tamiya and AK RC, everything was thinned at least 50/50. A molotow chrome pen was used to tidy up the chrome and for the spotlights. @iwatajim , the brown was NATO brown with a touch of white.

The VRN is from the original source image that Andreas initially showed me, and it’s simply printed onto normal paper and resized.

The masking took ages but I will try the 18Bravo and Petbat method next time… If there’s a next time lol.
Only thing I would of done differently was the side cam blocks would of been bigger as per @frank 2nd image he found. I had already done most of the blocks by then and couldn’t change it.

Next … The final images…

1 Like

First of 2 batches …

Part 2 to follow …

3 Likes

And the final installment… Thanks for looking in

And that’s it folks… Hope you enjoyed this fun little build, was a bit of a laugh and I even if this is the only Berlin Cam I ever do … I enjoyed it …
Thanks for all the tips, help and kind words throughout… Cheers :+1:

8 Likes

Nice finish. Berlin camo handled well

1 Like

I absolutely love it! Herby the Love Bug goes Urban Warfare :wink: You pulled this one off superbly! :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks @KoSprueone & Carlos @Stikpusher - Thanks for the comments and appreciated. It was a fun build and good to do something a bit different without a big gun on it or covered in mud .

Looking good there John , as now you have done the Berlin cam, what about a Fox , 432 or chieftain.:innocent::joy::joy:

1 Like

Lol … Thats me peaked on Berlin Cam for a long while … There are some suspicious looking RRF hackles there lol … I was thinking about doing my old Ferret from Cyprus UN … depends what the Accurate Armour ones are going for.