VW Typ 83 Krankenwagen

Good night. Would you know if this model could have been found during the Battle of Berlin?

1 Like

They would have been available at that time but how many and where they would have been found I can’t say as you see very few photos of them, and you posted one of those few.

Not to be confused with the Katzenwagen of a later era.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist… I think I have a book on war-time VWs, I’ll take a look.

Unfortunately, no mention in VW at War.

Probably a typo, but the title should be Kastenwagen.

4 Likes

Isn’t this vehicle postwar?

2 Likes

Someone wrote: Used by the Luftwaffe on airfields.
Maybe if some Luftwaffe officer tried to use one to escape from the airfield or from Berlin.

Someone else wrote: This was a post-war vehicle

1 Like

H.P.

4 Likes

And would the Reichspost version be possible?

1 Like

To be honest, searching for Typ 83 pretty much brings up the Special Hobbies kit. I checked a VW source and as mentioned above by Dan and Heavy I can find nothing relating to this vehicle during WWII. The designations I found for a ‘Kastenwagen’ were the Typ 81 and Typ 82. The Typ 81 seems to have been developed from the Typ 62 which was the KDF-version of the standard Beetle and the Typ 82 seems to be based off the Kubelwagen chassis.

1 Like

In one blog I found someone claimed that the small headlights fitted into some “adapter” in the larger holes was a post-war solution

Definitely after the war, small headlights mounted in the larger holes

The headlights while Hitler & Co were still in power

Note: This does NOT answer the original question. It only shows that the photo in the first post most likely shows a VW produced during British occupation.

1 Like