Wargames Illustrated Torpedo boat freebies

This month’s issue (July 2023) of Wargames Illustrated is giving away 1/300 scale Torpedo boats. My local WH Smith’s only had the pair of Vospers, but I think S-Boots and PT-Boats are also on offer.
They’re quite nice little things. Details are good but some finer parts are clunky in places. Especially the masts, but I suppose these are meant for pushing around a table top and have to be a bit more robust.

Not much is provided for instructions, but I think we all should be able to figure them out. A little section on creating seascape bases is included.
These should be a fun little afternoon project.

5 Likes

You are correct, there were some of each in my local Smiths about a fortnight ago, I may have mentioned it at the time…

Regards,

M

1 Like

Ah, I possibly saw that. Just after I posted I kept thinking to myself I’m sure I’ve read something somewhere about them. Couldn’t remember where.

Cool little things.

1 Like

No matter, your post may have served as a reminder to some go take advantage of the opportunity while it’s still there. Wargames Illustrated frequently includes something extra and this is often in the form of a recently-released plastic frame. I picked up the Vospers with the magazine when Cruel Seas was first released and I’ve picked up the S-boats at some point since, but missed the frame with a couple of 1/700th Brigs when Black Seas came out.

It’s a pretty effective way of selling the magazine as I’m often happy grab a sample of something just to mess about with even if I have no interest in taking it further. I think the last previous issue I bought was 417 (September last year) which included these happy chappies:

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve noticed a few things in the past but never gave them more than a quick look. I remember some WW2 British Infantry but they were in a funny scale so put it back. Wishing I hadn’t now because they might’ve been good to do.
I’ll keep my eyes open in future.
I’ll post the finished Vospers soon enough.

1 Like

If they were for “Bolt Action” they would be 1:56th (sometimes regarded as 1:55th) scale, alternatively described as “True” 28mm, as opposed to the larger, more caricatured “Heroic” 28mm espoused by certain manufacturers of fantasy figures. 1:56th has matured in recent years and is now viable as a modeling scale as well as for gaming, it’s possible to make dioramas/vignettes to standards close to 1:48th or even 1:35th but in a more compact format. There’s even injection moulded plastic armour available, Italeri do a 1:56th range of the usual suspects. But wargame-oriented kits usually come with multiple options, check this out:

Cheers,

M