Wet Palette - Paint Seperation Acrylic Paints

Morning

Just a general question regarding the separation of acrylic paints when using a wet palette, the paints seem to be separating into the carrier/base and the paint color components after sitting for a while but not all brands that I’m using will do it. starting to think it may be an old paint thing with bottles that I have had for a couple of years.
Will get some photos of the paints this afternoon.

Cheers and thank you

2 Likes

I have observed that vallejo paints separate easily, andrea not so much. It seems that swirling
them together works if they haven’t been on the palette too long (less than a week).

3 Likes

I’ve seen the save with Vallejo especially if they are a bit thin. As @phil2015 said they can easily be remixed with a quick swirl. Just make sure they haven’t started drying or you can get little granules of the dried pigment like a skin in the mix

3 Likes

This happens to me with Vallejo paints- I find it can happen in minutes if you are diluting them for something like a glaze on the wet palette. Swirling them around will sort it out but leaving them too long will basically make them unusable. Other brands behave differently.

3 Likes

I don’t use a wet palette, but I do thin paints to make washes. Vallejo can start separating in minutes when diluted! Especially the earth-tones - it looks like the pigments and clay content don’t get along. Sadly the better acrylic lines like Pollyscale have been killed off…

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, vallejo are definitely the worst at it and some colors separate quicker than others.
Happy to see it’s just not me.
Cheers

1 Like

I’ve used a wet palette with good success with both Vallejo and Gunze acrylics. Sounds to me like your palette may be too wet.

:beer:

1 Like

“Some” of my Vallejo paints will separate as mentioned, but not all of them. For example: Vallejo Olive Drab Primer (73.608) is a, repeat, repeat, repeat offender. There are others as well.

Note: Acrylic paints will keep in a wet palette for a “reasonable” amount of time, but not forever. I love using a wet palette when I’ve got a major painting session on tap. However, I use good ol’ mixing trays whenever I only need to paint a small part and/or the wet palette has been cleaned and put away.

On that note, I’ve found these small trays (washable) very handy to have around the workbench.

—mike :art::paintbrush:

With Vallejo’s it ought to be mentioned that a wet pallet with the air line isn’t a good mix even though you can brush a lot of the airs easily. Not sure if this is maybe what you experienced as the Model Color and Model Air are a little different out of the bottles. I bought my first ones at Hobby Lobby and sometimes their selection is intermingled between the 2 lines and in a rush it’s easy to grab and go without paying to much attention especially if you’re not versed on how the designate the lines.

1 Like