What did you do in your modeling workshop today?

Behold, on it’s way to becoming a real beauty:

Ahh, what a majestic beast :smile: And what is it you might ask? stay tuned! :smile: This sassy rig will eventually become the load on a yet to be built truck. I’m building it now because I have run into some painting delays on the big red truck (mostly the on and off rain), and haven’t even ordered any of the parts/materials that will make up the hauler for this classic. I can say, it will receive some heavy weathering and abuse before it’s done :smile:

As for what you see, it is 1/25 scale, but it uses those giant tires and wheels :flushed: are 1/32 from the junk box. The wheel hubs, inside and outside are 1/35, as are the axles, engine, transfer case and running gear. The seat and steering wheel are 1/25 scale. I made up a dashboard, gas, brake, and clutch, a four speed lever, and added the smaller black lever to the transfer case. And, as you can see, plenty of evergreen - just getting the frame, suspension, and motor/transfer case mounts worked out - :man_facepalming: As this will be sitting on the bed of a truck, at least some parts of the suspension and so on will be visible, so well, it has to look right…why not?

I’m pleased to field guesses! now, watch, one of you will nail it :smile:

Happy model building -

Cheers
Nick

12 Likes

So today I managed to get the T-38 prepared for primer painting, the canopy is ready as well. The lower fuselage and wing wells are prepped, landing gear completed. So tomorrow it will be primed, but I have to clean up / sand, the top of the tail fin (small crack) first.

9 Likes

C’est Magnifique! Great painting, nice dio. The angle and a couple bricks suggests so much.

2 Likes

You missed a spot, just to the left… Kidding. Looks great. The soft edge works, not too soft.

2 Likes

A great use of … stuff! The details work, and the creativity adds heaps. Standing by.

3 Likes

Rough terrain telescopic handler?

2 Likes

Too much stuff in front of the front wheels for a telehandler or forklift.
Both want their front wheels, or rather contact point with the ground, to be as far forward as possible.
That “plastic patio” up front doesn’t make any sense for a forklift or telehandler.

4 Likes

Painted a 1/72 spitfire. Might put the lacquer gloss on today.

12 Likes

And now they are both primed. The canopy pieces are for the T-38C

[Uploading: IMG20240310153657.jpg…]

9 Likes

Not today’s work, yesterday’s actually:

21 Likes

Thought maybe something like this one with out riggers.

10 Likes

Citadel shaders? Looks great!

2 Likes

Something like that, yes.
:+1: :smile:

2 Likes

Chips away…

Grinding forward…

…grinding a little to hard and broke sprocket attachment pin off flush…

…grinding forward again…

14 Likes

That camo looks great. I love that slightly soft-but-not-mushy look, and how natural it looks. Also the second color to first ratio, size and quantity. That’s how I’d paint my planes (1:1) if I had an air force.

6 Likes

Well repaired. Looking sharp.

4 Likes

They are in Citadel’s line of transparent “Shaders.” I use their Black (called Nuln Oil), Brown (Seraphim Sepia) and Green (Athonian Camoshade.) These are the weathering colors I use most often in my Railroad AND Armor modeling.

This 115 deck shows some of these Shaders over a base of buff colored paint and then Oil Pastel pigments over that:

My son the figure painter calls these shaders “experience in a bottle.”

9 Likes

@165thspc You hipped me to the shaders awhile back and I’ve been using them here and there.

Turrets assembled with lots of evergreen and bondo for filling unused holes.

I know there are lots of accuracy complaints about these Scorpion style turrets.

LH smoke discharges interfered with search light housing on FSV- for the MRV (right in all pictures) a new mount was supplied for the LH dischargers; I whittled a kind of copy for the FSV that seemed to work better.

The MRV also weirdly has lots of clear parts for stuff that not normally clear like the turret lifting eyes and the coaxial MG. There’s also a M1919 LMG also molded in clear for the turret roof. I’ll get to it later.

One of the AM brass antennas refused to cooperate- all are just held in place by gravity for now.

Edited to add:

The late model AFV Club M113 MRV includes lots of leftovers

16 Likes

Another thought: Instead of just buying a few select pigment colors, from the start I purchased this set giving me a full range of assorted weathering and shade shifting color options. I think I bought this set in 1976 and it has lasted all this time. (With me just doing modeling work and not art.) Set still available on eBay for around $50.

I scrub a small, short haired, stiff brush across the pastel stick to pick up the color and then apply it to the model. However you need a starting base coat of Matte Clear (sprayed on VERY dry) to give the model surface a rough tooth for the pastel powders to adhere to. After that no further top coat is necessary.

8 Likes

Slow progress on the Puma CEV

Rabbits

12 Likes