What do you guys think of this shade of OD?

I know paint can be quite a few difderent shades…how is this shade of OD for a Pershing in Korea?
It is Mission Models…is it to “yellowy” for that time period?

2 Likes

From how I can see it in the photos it looks good. I recall (from somewhere) some of these vehicles got a local repaint and it faded in the weather which gave that yellow hue.

2 Likes

Looks good from here,plus you got your modulation,washing,and weathering.

2 Likes

Remember Olive Drab is made from Yellow Ochre and Black. That’s it. So it can range from yellow to brown to greenish depending on the ratio. Your OD base looks outstanding. Don’t change it.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for your replies.

2 Likes

looks like the color I use.

1 Like

Looks fine to me. I’ve touched base before on “proper OD” because I’m not sure there is one. Korea was before my time, but during my time in the Army (mid 60’s-mid 80’s), I saw a lot of variation in OD. While in Germany, I recall opening an issue can of OD, and its color would best be described as Khaki Drab. In Vietnam, I have photo taken on same day of new M113 and an M42 that had been in country for a long time, huge difference. Sun, wear, and color of local dirt/dust also play into it, the dirt in the Cu Chi area was a sort of yellow/gray, the stuff at Quan Loi was red, and I’m sure other areas had their unique colors. All this, combined with how the paint may have been mixed/thinned, creates a wide range of “correct” colors.

2 Likes

It is hard to judge your color here as you are bouncing highlights off most of the surfaces in your photos. To judge the color it is best to photograph your model in very defuse light so as not to lighten or alter the color shade.

1 Like