What I did on my holiday Part 1 (Cobbaton Combat Collection)

My wife declared that we needed a holiday so off we set to North Devon for a week; this was last month so the weather wasn’t brilliant but there was enough local interest historically (more later) and the beaches were spacious enough for our dog to go completely bats**t. Apart from some pretty indifferent weather – which was expected – there was a bit of a paucity of decent eateries; however, this is not a post for the North Devon tourist board but I thought I’d set the scene.

About 35 minutes from where we were staying was the Cobbaton Combat Collection, which some may have heard of. If so then ignore the next bit. Now, to explain: this is not a museum but a collection, and I must just emphasize that. There are some artefacts that are labelled and informative as one might indeed find in a museum, but overall, the equipments on display are well, sort of dumped where they are. This does not mean they are not interesting, just if you go don’t expect good lighting and pristine exhibits or display cabinets. It was certainly worth a visit and I took nearly 50 pictures, some of which are shown below:

And so to the inside:

Daimler Armoured Car

Windsor Carrier

Ford truck

C15 Armoured Ambulance

Centaur; Lanchester SMG in cabinet

T16 Carrier

Churchill Crocodile

Sexton 25Pdr SP

Horsa Glider - fuselage

Horsa - interior

T-34/85

Centurion AVRE

Ram Kangaroo - undergoing restoration

Beaverette Armoured Car

Somewhere in all this is an LRDG wagon against the tail of a Fiesler Storch (I think)

3.7" AA Gun

And lastly, a pair of Boots DMS (wrongly laced) which I thought singularly appropriate(!)

A few more items outside:

Cromwell turret

And a rather sad Comet.

This isn’t exhaustive and I haven’t shown every last exhibit; there was also a Flak 30, a Morris Gun Tractor, a 17 Pdr A/T gun, SP Bofors, White Scout Car, FV 432, T54, Scammel Tractor, and a Dingo Scout Car, let alone the small arms and other miscellaneous ephemera; however, I didn’t want to bore you too much (or to clog the system).

'Hope this is of interest to some.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing the photos! All sorts of goodies in there to be seen.

Last there 25 years ago, not much changed looking at the photos.

That’s for sure Frank - at least 25 years worth of dust!

1 Like

Nice photos Brian and thanks for sharing, however one error noted, the photo labelled T16 Carrier is actually a Loyd Carrier.

'Happy to be corrected - I’m no Carrier Ninja by any means; I should have researched it a little more.

No problem Brian, if we don’t make errors we never learn and we can’t be experts in everything. I’m just a fan of the ‘carriers’. Been working for some time on a 1/76 display of all the different types of carrier on about 20 so far. The name of the display is which is the Bren carrier?

That was great Brian. Thanks for sharing and wouldn’t mind seeing more.
HG

thanks for sharing, it’s nice to see them in a not so polished light and gives ideas on weathering.

You might be sorry you asked! Here then are a few of the missing equipments and some shots of those shown already but different aspects:

4 Likes

Came across it when on holibags in Devon some years back, really enjoyed it. Finished off with a cup of bovril and a corned beef sandwich from the RVS/NAAFI wagon. :slightly_smiling_face:
IIRC, the Horsa is a prop from A bridge too far and the tree in the background on the Comet is actually growing out of the engine bay. EDIT:WHOOPS, clearly not… :roll_eyes:
The Cent AVRE is the one that went for a swim whilst being loaded back onto transport home😅

I first visited it around 3 decades ago with an Army mate (I was still serving then); to be honest I can’t recall much save I think that the Churchill Crocodile may have been a runner back then.

A cup of Bovril and a corned beef sandwich? You certainly know how to live Paul!

1 Like

Off topic…

Bovril ? Is that stuff anywhere near Vegimite ? I have had Vegimite when I was down under. Interesting taste I must say.

Cheers
:beer: :robot: :beer:

2 Likes

I like this place

1 Like

Nawww, it’s beef broth. Just a cup of hot cow water to wash down your sandwich.

2 Likes

I stumbled across it many years ago while heading down to the West Country (or coming back, I forget). Doesn’t look as though it’s changed much. I do remember buying a 1939-45 War medal there to give to my Dad. He got the ribbon, but they never sent the medal! He used to refer to it ironically as “the solid 28 days killing” medal (you only needed 28 days of war service to qualify for it - he was called up into the RAF in 1944).

Lovely stuff Brian- great to see the vehicles in a mixed state with some rust or dirt or dust etc. I was wondering was there anything from Northern Ireland? Or perhaps an old 6 wheeler like the Saracen?

No, nothing from NI Karl, or not that I noticed, and I was pretty thorough - or as thorough as one could be; the exhibits were certainly jam-packed in there.

Your post reminded me that as I have an old Dartmoor Models Saracen in my stash, I really should give it a go.

2 Likes

They have one and a Saladin in the Aldershot museum, which isnt to bad for a look round. I went mid pandemic when it was open and had another look see but didnt take pics.

1 Like

Nothing from NI but the 17lbr and the Beaverette are ex-Irish army stock.

1 Like