What-If Bundeswehr Heavy Tank M103 & Recce Tank RU 251 c.1966

Mustn’t forget the base of course; so, as concurrent activity, my usual 12mm MDF board cut to the European paper-size standard of A3, with the edges bevelled and sanded down, a few coats of mahogany stain followed by gloss varnish. I can then allow it all to cure for a day or so before I add any groundwork.

I always add those small felt pads on the underneath.

6 Likes

And just in case you thought I was neglecting the RU 251:

Still to be dry-brushed and weathered, and of course, figures; always figures!

11 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what is a “RU 251”?

1 Like

Thomas, it was a German recce tank concept to replace their M41 fleet. I’d heard of it vaguely but certainly didn’t expect to see a kit of it. There’s a little bit on Wikipedia here:

Spähpanzer Ru 251 - Wikipedia

Amusing Hobby took us all by surprise:

So, essentially I’m displaying 2 x “What-Ifs” together, or that’s the plan! Figures are slowing me up a bit but the kits are just about complete now, save a little dry-brushing then weathering; I have to complete a base too.

5 Likes

Progress - of sorts; figures nearly ready for paint although I’m still one short (Loader/Operator for the RU 251).

Left to Right:

Top:

RU 251 Commander. M103 Gunner. M103 Commander. M103 Loader (one of them).

Bottom:

Mapping (Verlinden). Uzi (for RU 251 Driver). 2 x Headsets. RU 251 Driver.

The figure I had earmarked for the Loader/Operator turned out to be unworkable, or rather, required too much work to become viable; so, I’ve yet to identify a decent figure, which I require to be peering through binos. I think Tamiya do a WW2 Panzer crewman doing just that so I’ll have to rummage through the stash.

5 Likes

I remember it, it was in the Panzer IV D kit.

It’s OK Matthew - I’ve got this set somewhere I think:

Back row, left should do.

3 Likes

At last - painting finished less the application of Tamiya Buff to tie it all together for that “Day 6 on exercise” look; some details still to be fitted as otherwise I’d be sure to break them: Comd’s MG on the M103, and the wing mirrors on the RU 251. Headlights still to be fitted on both, ditto antennae:

16 Likes

So cool …
So much “Cold War”,
Looking forward to seeing the last details and weathering applied.

2 Likes

That M103 looks awesome!!! :+1: :+1: :100: :100:

1 Like

Excellent job Brian. The finish on both is excellent.

1 Like

Well, thanks all; it’s the comments that keep one going.

I do sort of think, now that’s it almost done, that if the M103 didn’t see German service (and of course it didn’t), then it almost should have done(!)

Anyway, thanks again all; 'am currently wrestling with the base and have yet to complete the figures.

2 Likes

'Working on the base today (anything to put off tackling the figures!)

I’m using a grass mat from the model railway fraternity, and beginning to wish I hadn’t. I find it quite difficult to work with but it will, hopefully, give me the slightly longer grass effect I’m after. Making impressions into the stuff in order to position the models was quite difficult.

And of course, it’s all a matter of positioning:

Note that I always colour such scenic effects; grass mat - or other grass/scenic items as bought, just don’t seem to work in the colours they come in. I’ll probably give it a blast from a rattle can, then over-spray with Tamiya Buff.

6 Likes

I am not sure the Germans would have used the 50 cal. for the TC position. They really like their own.MG

1 Like

Not so Greg I feel; they were used to the .50 on the M47, ditto in the M48 series (both A1 and A2) albeit cupola mounted, so I suggest, that despite the efficacy of the MG3, they would probably have been content with the .50 as it came with the M103A2; Army-wide they would certainly have been familiar with it, not only on their tanks but the plethora of SP Guns they’d used as well, let alone early usage of the M113.

3 Likes

“I wasted time, now doth time waste me”.

Enough of the excuses: a brief update. Figures completed and ready to be installed; both vehicles initially weathered - pigments etc to follow (only M103 shown):

9 Likes

Looking excellent Brian

1 Like

Both those have built up and been weathered to a very nice and realistic level mate. Looks splendid :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Mate; been a bit of a chore in a way - the figures that is - and I’m still one short. Anyway, sort of final stretch if I get my finger out.If.

1 Like

Figures are my nemesis …

1 Like