What kind of electric tools do you use?

Thanks! … the shorter rod is simply part of the mechanism inside the original brush bent at the end, the long one is for the Vallejo size, I simply refitted the original one with a rod of the right diameter and length for the bottle, I folded the tip and with the hammer I flattened the tip a little to give it more stirring power, I still add a marine grade 316 stainless steel ball to each bottle or pot to help.

A tip if you do the job … hold on the bottle very hard because it can travel very easily in hyperspace and paint half man cave … don’t ask me how I know :scream: :sob:

2 Likes

I haven’t done this yet but it was also recommended to me to use a nut instead of a steel ball. As the ball can get trapped at the end of a Vallejo style bottle and the result might not be what you want.

1 Like

I was not happy with the nuts,to light and if not 316SS but less like 304 they rust after some time,and the nuts hole got clog with thick paint…but yeah sometime the ball get trapped

my 2 cents

i have also very few bottles like that,my mains paints are MMP,Humbrol and LifeColors and all have different bottles/pots,MMP come already with the ball inside

1 Like

I use two Dremel multipro variable speeds. One with a cut off blade and one with the flex shaft and a grinder on the end. I use them for many things besides styrene. I learned early on to work short of the line then ease onto the line .You can do a nice job using the flex shaft and the grinding stone. Go slow so you do not heat the plastic. I always finish the work with a sanding stick or sandpaper. Don’t try to barrel through or bad things can happen…I also use an ultrasonic cleaner for my airbrush. Great tool.

As others say Dremel is a high quality product but difficult to control for plastic modelling due to its high rpm.
I have an old cheap Techni one, not sure if the brand still exists, that starts at very low rpm.
If I have to replace it, I will go for a cheaper nail tool like this:
1 Set Professional Electric Nail Drill Machine Manicure Machine Pedicure Drill Set Ceramic Nail File Nail Drill Equipment Tools|Electric Manicure Drills| - AliExpress

that proxxon and electric nail drill machine sounds like a good alternative for the Dremel tool. a good way to control the heat. i might actually consider getting one of these.

I’ve had this since the early 90’s I believe, if I keep it low and go easy it works fine for me. Having said that, I’ve only found use for it a handful of times over the years.

The ‘electric tool’ I use most often is just your run of the mill hairdryer, I use it to speed up dry times on all sorts of stuff.

2 Likes

I have 2 Dremels, the model 245 is my workhorse. The other Dremel is a newer, variable speed tool, and I think it came with a flexible shaft. I’ve used my model 245 and a cut-off wheel to cut through rebar and other metals; of course, it takes a while to do that kind of cutting. Regarding using these kind of tools on styrene, yes, move into the work slowly, and keep a good grasp on the tool, as I find that the cutter tends to grab onto the material, and causes the cutter to dig into the styrene in places you don’t want the cutter to dig into.

Good luck with whatever your purchase!

Tim

The Proxxon Micromot 50/EF or 50/E in tandem with the adapter with Variable speed you can dial down the speed to 0

with one of these 2…

i think my next purcase with the addition of the footswitch …

I have a Black & Decker version of the Dremel, got it back in the 80’s when I was into sulpting sandstone and soapstone. Flexible axle, different drillbits, cutters etc, including a sawing blade. Which is very handy for cutting of those big blocks of resin on BlackDog stuff…

As many others do I also have a Dremel and various bits, sanders, etc. to use with it. I also have one of these that I bought a few years ago. I has come in handy to make aircraft canopies with.

And I also have one of these as well.

And other than my soldering iron I guess that is about it.

Randy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh my god! … the good old days when a child could hurt by himself, and instead of calling a lawyer to sue who made the toys he would put on a band-aid and shut up or dad would still scold him because "is your fault mate, I told you not to use it like this "… now if you sell such a thing they sue you in no time!

5 Likes

@Vicious you’re absolutely right :white_check_mark:

Check this out…can you image the litigation if a,working toy oven was released today?

Rescue & Restore - Toy Oven for Kids (that’s a working oven)

2 Likes

Sad but true. As a kid we knew that hot things could burn us, you couldn’t shoot each other in the face with a shotgun like on the cartoons, etc., etc. Sad :frowning_face:

That is really cool. Never saw one of those before. My daughter had an Easy Bake Oven.

Thanks guys.
Randy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

WoW…i was thinking to an Easy Bake Oven like Harv but that’s it’s up a notch!..

When I was a kid and I hurt my self I was afraid to tell my dad or my grandfather because I risked getting hurt twice!!

3 Likes

Ah the good old days of growing up in the 1960’s :slight_smile:

Tiny scratch, a kid boohooing full :droplet:water works :droplet: like there’s no tomorrow, “Dry up kid or I’ll give you something to cry about.”

When I was a kid my dad wanted to keep me safe. There was various bottles on the shelves in his workshop, acids for soldering, ammonia for something else, solvents for glueing plastic pipes.
He handed me the bottle of ammonia and said: Son, smell this so you know what it is and don’t need to be curious.
SNIIIIFFFFFF!!
WAAAAAAAA!!!
The first and only time I have flushed my nose with a shower hose …

About electric tools:
Compressor, doesn’t really count.
Small electric drills for drilling and for painting the rubber on wheels

2 Likes

Hmm, that reminds me of ammonia plan printers, visited a surveyors back in 1980, where they used one. Not nice.
I have 2 dremels Ultimate Pro, usually with cut off wheel, 3001 Model with flex shaft & sanding drum. Usually only use them at low speeds so melting not an issue.
Also have a Unimat multi tool, though reconfiguring it can be a pain

Mal

Ah, the smell of plans in the morning. Love it. Course I like CS gas as well, when your yearly training is every other month you learn to embrace the suck. Stopped changing my uniform out afterwards after a bit. Used to crop dust unsuspecting folks with CS gas in the office. :joy: