What kit...?

A conversation with a friend last week got me thinking about this;
Even allowing for those with a very specific focus to their modelling, is there an iconic vehicle- tracked, wheels, armoured or soft-skinned that you haven’t yet built?

I’m not thinking of those Hens teeth/Uniocrn poo type of kits but more the mainstream(ish) styrene offerings.
I have yet to even add to my stash, let alone build a Tiger or a T-34 of any description.
What are yours?

1 Like

A Sherman.

Probably the most iconic tanks of WWII are the Tiger, T-34 and Sherman, I have built a few of the first two but still not a Sherman.

Strictly on German side, which is my favourite subject, I still have to build a StuG III, an Elefant and a Konigstiger

1 Like

Good question… Loads lol… But in truth I usually stick with German WW2 heavy armour in the past but am now broadening my horizons. I want to do a T34 either 76 or 85. A Leo 2 late version with sloped turret an M1a2 SEP2 and a Chally2. Hopefully all next year. I have an M1 under the tree :christmas_tree: I was wanting to build, so that’s almost off the list now :grin:

1 Like

The WWI British Mk.I thru IV are pretty iconic, and I’ve never built one. The same goes for the French FT-17. WWI subjects just don’t do much for me.
The M47 is another iconic tank I think. Cold War warrior across the globe and star of many war movies. I’ve never built one… yet. One is on deck for this year.

1 Like

I have yet to build anything based off the Pz III or IV hull’s. I also havent built anything that uses the M113 chassis.

I have all of them in the stash, just never gotten to them. I just end up building yet another Sherman or Centurion :rofl:

1 Like

I have built pretty much every type of ‘iconic’ ww2 to modern vehicle type there is and many not so iconic! One I haven’t done is the T-55 series although I have a Tamiya Tiran version begging to be built.

Like Carlos (Stikpusher) I have yet to build a WW1 mark I - IV, or an A7V which I feel is also iconic, although I have Meng versions of each in the stash as well.

This would be a great idea for a group build .

3 Likes

Great question. So many iconic vehicles to conquer, so little time. Modern: M1 Abrams, Humvee, etc. WWII: Churchill, Dragon Wagon. WWI: the various Mark IVs. I have all in the stash, so someday I’ll get around to them! My focus lately is softskins, GMC CCKW, Jeep, CMPs of various designations, and this week wrangling with a Scammell transporter tractor. Much fun!

Jimbo

2 Likes

Some great responses there fellas. A
little bird has tweeted I might be getting to break my duck on one of my choices next week… :thinking::christmas_tree::wink:

This will probably make me unpopular with some but British armor, outside the Tasca Firefly kit and the 1/48 Airfix four wheeler I have, they don’t do anything for me. The Berlin scheme build posted on here did look great and I can appreciate John’s CVRT build but it ain’t my cup of tea.

1 Like

Each to their own Ryan and don’t be sorry to call it out. You will not be unpopular at all.

If we all liked exactly the same thing, it would be a very boring world.

1 Like

For me it is the FT-17. However I do have the Meng kit in the stash.

Nice, I have the Takom kit, FCM conversion and decals for a Marine tank. WWI and PreWW2 is not a subject area I have built anything.

Totally get what your saying there Ryan… I think everyone has their favourites and for me I was initially only interested in WW2 German armour, and that was only Panthers, Tigers and their variants. One or 2 types of Sherman caught my eye but that was it… I wouldn’t go near any other allied wagons…
I’m getting more into modern stuff now, hence my wanting the new 3 main Western platforms, Chally2, Leo2 6/7 and M1a2 SEP2…

1 Like

No Leopards,Chieftains
No Jeeps,no Bradleys,Bren Carrier,Churchills,

1 Like

No Leopards,Chieftains
No Jeeps,no Bradleys,Bren Carrier,Churchills,

What is wrong with you there? Those are all truly iconic AFVs.

2 Likes

The British have so many WWII tanks, which one is iconic? I still want to build the Big 3 in 1/35 scale. I have the kits but I always kept putting them off until I became a “better” builder. This thread has made me think it’s about time I start on one of them.
Take care and stay safe friends,
Don “Lakota”

For an early War British tank, I’d nominate the Matilda as being iconic. For the late war, or second half, I’d say it’s the Churchill. But the Crusader and Cromwell would also qualify for their respective timeframes respectively.

Dozens… I pretty much consider whatever I’m working on to be “iconic” in the sense that it holds my interests. But anticipating the next build is what keeps me going.

I have yet to build a Tiger I or II. And it is kind of my goal to build 1 of each. I do have a kit of each, and started the Tiger I, but I lose my modeling mojo pretty fast. And when i do have it, i like to participate in campaigns to help keep it flowing.
I currently have been trying different model producing companies and have expanded into WWII russian armor.

T-72. As a “Cold War” soldier we were taught to fear the T-72 (and later the T-80). Amusing Models just came out with a T-72M with full interior, very tempting.