What my local hobby shop provided

I hear you Bruce. I’m just South of Brisbane. Used to be Mr Toys Springwood (aka ‘Purple Bear’) had a huge range and well stocked on everything - 25% of the store was model kits and model related supplies. However, a few years back they sold off a heap to claw back capital sitting on the shelf and haven’t bought anything new since. The change in distributers for Dragon (and others) and their forcing shops to buy lines they did not want to was the first domino to its demise. There is a store northside of Brisbane that has a reasonable range, but most prices are too steep - BNA is a lot cheaper.

Its a pretty good shop, but havent been in for ages. There used to be one on Endless St, ‘Endless models’ I think, that was pretty good too - but closed.

Yeah, for a while Salisbury was blessed with 2 x model shops - and that must have been rare. The owner of the Endless Street one piled in so that was that. Just the Fisherton Street one now, and as I say, pretty good.

Know North East Model Centre well and totally endorse what Maximus 8425 says, in fact I will probably nip round there tomorrow for a few bits and pieces and probably come away with more than I intended

By coincidence that is exactly where I got the AFV Club Achilles from.

Chiming in from the great white north. I, too, enjoy the trip to my LHS, though it usually takes a road trip to Montreal or Quebec (city). There is a book/stationary/art supply/toy store in Sherbrooke called the GGC that has a small section devoted to modelling. At least you can buy your tamiya or revell paints plus glue and/or brushes. I support them as much as possible. The coolest store, in my opinion, is in Montreal called Hobby Junction. Their motto is “if they don’t make it, we don’t have it”. Great guys, awesome selection of stuff and, yah, it’s about a two and a half hour drive from my front door but it’s fun to get out of Dodge once in a while, right? For everything else it’s on line purchases. I have no need to buy kits as I have enough already in my stash to stock my own small hobby store…or at least a section of one. Cheers!!

Reading your input, I must admit that I’m blessed to have 2 LHS.

The near one- Hobbyland- is 12 min. by foot, while the distant one- Hobbycult- is approx. 4 km. away from my home.

The one is official distributor of many brands, while the other has a very good preorder scheme.

I visit both LHS quite often and beside the staff/owner being good friends already, there are always some other “Homo Mutantus var. Scalemodelisticus” visiting.

I used to do almost exclusively online shopping before, now it is only if there’s no way I can source what I need locally.

Cheers,
Angel

Impulse buy yesterday. Wouldn’t usually but it has DAK markings and I do like the North Africa campaign subjects.
I know it’s been bettered by Dragon, but I haven’t seen one of those for a long time.

Probably be a straight OOB build and will concentrate on paint finish and weathering. I understand these arrived in Africa in Panzer grey and were repainted sand. So a good piece to practice that worn and chipped paint effects.

1 Like

I get my supplies locally (20 min drive). The past couple years i have been buying kits at the same place. the Shop has more kits in it ( especially Armor) then i have ever seen in a LHS. Dragon,Tamiya, Italeri, Academy, ICM, Zvezda RFM, Meng etc.
There’s also plenty resin upgrades, tracks, figures and vintage kits.
It might be more expensive, but i keep my inventory low anyways and keep the money local.

God, I dream of keeping my inventory low.

1 Like

I got back into modeling because of our local shop here in Billings. I was curious, walked in, saw a decent selection of Tamiya that I remembered from working in a LHS back during high school (1980’s). Between them and Hobby Lobby I got te-started then tripped across a train-centric store that I didn’t know existed but he has one 4 shelf rack or armor and he carries every brand But Tamiya. So it’s an adventure to see what he gets from time to time.

I do have a Hobby Lobby so that’s my go-to for oils, brushes, Vallejo and misc consumables. Central Hobbies (the 1st shop) is my Tamiya source for 35th and some 48th WW2 aircraft, plus they stock Mission Model paint so I’ve started buying it to support them.

The train shop is Jims Junction-full rack of Tamiya paints for the desk and he’ll have Dragon, RMF, Zveda, Bronco, Italeri etc. So I buy what he has that catches my eye.

All this in Billings MT where the next nearest town of size is 2 hours away, in fact it seems every town is at least an hour drive between them. So around the corner or a short drive for us is 1.5 to 2 hours each way lol but I love the space and it keeps my other pursuits like fly fishing. Kayak fishing and hunting loaded up w more land and water than I’ll ever explore! A healthy stash is worth it cause winter can be long w maybe 8 or so hours of daylight, snow and some freeze your ba!!s off temps.

2 Likes

Hi Boots,
How do you browse the Salisbury site for stock?
I’ve visited the site but can only browse via the tabs and none of those show their stock.
Thanks.

You won’t find anything listed; he stopped doing e-orders some time ago. However, feel free to telephone him especially if there’s something specific. He can normally get stuff in within 3-5 days.

His Facebook site does list what’s new as it comes in.

1 Like

Boots the Endless street one had the owner die.

I know; see my post around 12 posts back.

Strange, I didn’t go in there too often, but he looked right as rain last time I saw him.

Just to clarify: Fisherton Street - all OK and owner fine (even though ex RGJ/Rifles - but I almost forgive him).

Endless Street - sadly long gone now.

Thanks for the reply.
Another ex RGJ here!

Oops! Doubtless you’ll get Infantry discount!

Would be pointless - Infantry and Mathematics do not make happy bed fellows :slight_smile: