What Paint Color for Modern US 105mm How Canister?

That’s a big “if”, especially with technical terms. Many speakers have incredibly optimistic estimations of their listener’s understanding. My most recent job experiences were with the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program. Using the proper terminology in both written and verbal communications is emphasized and demanded in all operations. Woe be the sailor who reports to his Chief that an open valve has been “closed” instead of “shut”.

Nevertheless, my only interest was hearing how “canister” popped into the vernacular. The other things mentioned have parallels to civilian items that may be more relatable to soldiers; already have commercial trademarks associated with them; or are funny. It’s not like canister is easier to say than casing/case, either. And it’s new-ish, unlike nautical terms that are centuries old and literally “have always been called that.” Just odd.

KL

OK. I still have a couple more combinations to try; but so far, I’m getting the best results with a bronze metallic (AK Extreme Metals) followed by a thin coat of Alclad Armored Glass tint. The result is a bit darker than I’d like but will work. Alclad Steel was too dark. Alclad Burnt Metal was too light. I’ll try a couple more metallics after returning from the IPMS Nats. See you in Omaha!

Hell, I didn’t even get qualified until '98. But I’ve kept up as a 13B along with my other MOS’s right up through today. 24 years! So it makes me curious, was leaving your soft cap on the ground a no-no in your day, or is that a new thing? And if so, why?
I’ll be there, by the way.

Robert, I’ve not heard of soft caps on the ground being a no-no. But, looking back on it I don’t recall seeing them on the ground. That may have been more practicality than anything else - easy to stow in a pocket or small of the back, and they blow away or get dirty on the ground.

Same here. Never heard of a “no hats on the ground” thing.

Rather than post the answer twice, I’ll just link to this:

Driving toward Omaha Thursday May stay and Camp Ashland the first night and listen to the corn grow…

Looks like a few different shades of anodizing used. probably depending on the lot and/or the shell type.