What to do with all this sprue?

Hi all,
So I’m about 50% through the build steps of the MiniArt T-55 interior kit and I have been putting the waste sprue in a large zip-loc bag. That’s a lot of plastic! Most would probably toss it. I did save the nubs from the track sprues that will eventually go to an almost empty Tamiya extra thin jar to make a filler. But the rest…?

I try and keep about 20 straight lengths about 4 to 5 inches and use as wheel mounts for painting/spraying and change them once in a while. I also keep about 10 lengths just in case I need some larger diameter rod for whatever reason… The rest it tossed in the bin.

4 Likes

Very good question. In 2021, we should be abble to recycle all type of plastic, but that’s not the case for this polystyrene, anyway not collected in my country.

Trying out the reply by email:
Yeah, I have a box full of all different colors, odd shapes, round and flat. Even clear sprues that I have collected.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

Funny you ask I am working on the Miniart T-54 interior and had the same question. There is more waste plastic in this kit with the 73 Sprues it has than some kits have actual useful plastic.

I feel bad tossing it all and would welcome suggestions for its use. I’ll be following this

1 Like

If your modelling interests include building Diorama’s straight sprue runs and the rounded corners could be used as heavy duty electrical conduits. The circular centre pieces you also come across could be used to create annular framing for big pipework or industrial machinery.

I’ve also seen someone use odd bshort bits of sprue to create generic vegitation. I’ll try and dig out a description/picture later.

1 Like

I’d like to see that.

It is good for bracing inside your kits for additional strength and I use it to make antennas by heating with a candle and streching the hot plastic.

2 Likes

I’m liking the feedback.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

Here you go- its a link to another modelling forum I’m a member of.

3 Likes

Thank you for the link & great idea

1 Like

That is very clever…I like it :+1:

1 Like

There’s YouTube video showing sprue being dissolved and used for moulding various things - mostly warhammer figures and scenery.

In the past I have sent boxes of sprue and old kits and things like that to Anthony Fuentes aka captfue, and he uses it to make figures with. I sent him a message asking if he still does that. To me it was a good way to repurpose the sprue and also help out a fellow modeler.

I will let everyone know what he says.

Thank you,
Randy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, I just heard back from Anthony and he said he will gladly take sprue. So if you want to message him and get his address and everything you can make the arrangements. I have sent him stuff over the years and he is always a great guy to deal with.

Anthony Fuentes aka captfue.

Thank you everyone,
Randy :slight_smile: