What to use to strip paint from a car body

I painted a Revell Jeep Rubicon body with a Krylon rattle can and the paint didnt come out right so what can i use to saftly strip the paint so i can repaint it
Any recommendations?

I’m not sure what type of paint Krylon is - lacquer perhaps ? Enamel ?
Acrylic paint can be removed with denatured alcohol without harming plastic .
I have used this with success for both paint and chrome on plastic .
Others have used oven cleaner.
As always when trying something new , test first in a small unseen area or better yet , on a test mule .
HTH - Richard

Easy Off oven cleaner works great. Place the model into a large zip-loc baggie and spray the Easy Off inside the bag, a lot of it, don’t go easy. Seal the bag up and let it sit for about 24 hours. Take it out of the bag and rinse it off. The paint should be gone or rub/peel of with a little pressure. If there are any stuck areas, use an old toothbrush to scour it off. It works great every time. It will also strip chrome off plastic parts.

1 Like

Try automotive brake fluid, Recommended years ago by a long-gone hobby shop. It works.

1 Like

Super Clean is the way I go,no muss no fuss

1 Like

My go to paint stripped for is cheap Denature Alcohol that I buy at Home Depot. I save the oven cleaner for just stripping chrome plating as it’s pretty nasty stuff, so I only spray the parts in a container out in garage with the door open. And I wear cheap household rubber gloves.

joel

Tamiya paint stripper. Not cheap, but it works.

Brake fluid I have yet to try; have heard it works wonders though.

I’ve found that SuperClean will take off almost any paint, but be sure to wear gloves. It is very hard on your skin and not very pleasant to breath either.
I’ve tried most everything and this is the best I’ve ever used. It will soften some plastics but after a day or so they return to normal.

Gary,
The softening of the plastic would really concern me.

I’ve used for years Denatured Alcohol and it will strip any model paint including lacquers and primers with no effect on the plastic. I’ve also used Mr. Color leveling Thinner #400 on paper towel and Qtips for instant removal, but the stuff is expensive so I try not to go that route.

joel

I was concerned at first, but like I said overnight and it was perfect again without a stitch of paint even in the small cracks, no rough scrubbing necessary. This was very old Revell plastic from the 50’s. One of their “Miniature Masterpiece” western kits. The surface was the only thing that was slightly affected, it wasn’t like it made anything bendable and by the next morning it was hard again. None of the newer plastics have ever had this happen. It’s my “go to” paint stripper.

Break fluid will also take the paint off your car if it has a slow leak.

I use oven cleaner as well. Works great. Ancient coats of Tamiya, Humbrol, unknown hobby paints all come off, newer paints (Vallejo, Mig) also melt off :slight_smile:

I wear latex gloves when rinsing off the model ans have had no problems so far.

One warning though: if the model has PE, be careful when rinsing because these come loose as well :wink:

Gary,
That does make a big difference. So it adds another tool to my stripping options.

I felt the same way the 1st time I used Mr. Leveler’s #400 thinner but only on a Qtip or paper towel.

What I really like about Denatured Alcohol is that I can soak the body, parts, or what ever in a plastic tub without any issues, and the plastic tub can be used over and over again.

joel

Joel,
I hear you, I like reusable stuff too. I keep a quantity of SuperClean in an old wide mouth taco sauce jar so I can dip pieces. I bought a gallon jug of SuperClean over 10 years ago and it’s still over half full. As added bonus SuperClean will easily take off soap scum in the shower. LOL Best thing I’ve found so far. Just always wear gloves and have good ventilation when using it in tight areas.
Also, I buy Xylene (Xylol) buy the gallon for brush cleaning. It will clean ANY kind of paint off a brush in seconds. Dried paint will come off as well if soaked overnight. I then dip the brush in Silicoil (buy at Hobby Lobby) before storing it. I always rinse the brush in thinner (water, lacquer, etc) right before I use it again.
Gary

I’ve used a domestic disinfectant (marketed in UK as “Dettol”); placed the kit in a sealable bag and poured in the stuff. Overnight - job done!