Wheels of the Union Jack and Tricolore - Oct '21 to March '22

Some progress - not much bench time for a bit .
I’ve begun to consider this kit as bit of a test mule for some techniques and for working and painting in a large scale . This kit has so many issues that I am loosing enthusiasm but I will soldier on because I have ordered a 1/12 MFH kit and as they are a bit pricey it will be good to learn a bit on a lesser kit .
The MFH kit is the Tipo 158 Alfetta and as it has a lot of aluminum finish on the interior I am trying some things toward that on the Lotus . Reference photos show a bare aluminum tub interior on some present day cars but photos of this car in 1967 seem to indicate the interior was finished in grey . I am going to play the artistic license card and do aluminum to practice for the MFH kit .The seat as supplied by Tamiya is minimal, perhaps because as a motorized kit it would be expected to have a driver figure .
The real car had some padding / upholstery…

… and what the kit gives you…

I taped up the tub and waxed the tape and tried to replicate the real interior with epoxy putty . This is still very much a work in progress…

Here is the new scratch built dash with offset wheel and closer to scale thickness…

… and the bottom in the first stages of dressing off the fixes …

… and the engine block / transaxle underway …

Thanks for looking !

2 Likes